Gumpaste Roses - Constructive Criticism Please

Decorating By Beecharmer Updated 25 Nov 2005 , 12:49am by SquirrellyCakes

Beecharmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beecharmer Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 13

I am trying to learn how to make gumpaste roses from a book. No one teaches gumpaste around here. Anyway, I think I have the general idea, but know something is wrong. The top looks ok (not great, but ok) but the side view looks awful. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
LL
LL

12 replies
Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 7:34am
post #2 of 13

I think it looks great...sorry I can't help, but I will bump you up....

Randa

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 7:40am
post #3 of 13

I have had mine look like this too.. I usually just pinch off the excess, you can add the leaves to hide the ugly bits.. hope this helps.. I have not made them on wires before though.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 13

I wouldn't worry too much about the side view because the top view is gorgeous!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 13

I agree, I teach gumpaste, and I think they look great, especially for a self taught beginner! You really don't see the sides when you do a bouquet or set them on a cake.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 13

put a caylx on the back. It will hide a lot of the sides

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 13

I agree, you wont see the sides when you do a bouquet or once you add leaves...it's a beautiful rose

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 13

I think it looks lovely too.
For more information and a tutorial, go to www.r-bdesigns.com on the Message board under Techniques, see Meg's Pastry School Roses and also check under Gumpaste modelling for other information.
Hugs Squirrrelly

lgslgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lgslgs Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 13

Just out of curiosity, which book are you using?

The rose looks quite nice. Much nicer than my attempts with Play-doh this morning!

Lynda

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 13

Your rose looks beautiful! I haven't even attempted them before.

lgslgs,
That's a good idea using play-doh! I'm going to go get some of my daughter's now! icon_biggrin.gif

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 13

They're quite pretty from the top! One tip I learned is that the tops of all your petals should be at the same level if they were all pointing up ... that eliminates the middle looking overly tall! I know I used to add the outer petals WAY too low and my roses just looked bizzarre from the side.

edit ... also, don't be afraid to pinch off some of the excess "bulge" at the bottom ... I almost never wire mine, so I just snip the base off!

Beecharmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beecharmer Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for all your nice comments, but the roses don't look like the ones in the book. In answer to your question about the book, I used the Wildton Beautiful Gum Paste Flowers book that came with the gum paste cutter set. I also have a book called The ARt of Sugarcraft Sugar Flowers by Nicholas Lodge. I will check out the website www.r-bdesigns.com. Thanks.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Nov 2005 , 12:49am
post #13 of 13

One more thing, I taught myself too, using the Wilton book. I found it really useful to buy two roses, one to look at and study and the other to pull apart to see the construction of the actual rose and the shape of the individual petals and such. It makes a big difference when making flowers to be able to actually have the real thing in front of you.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%