Dessert Table Ideas, Please Help!!!!

Decorating By blissful Updated 2 Feb 2016 , 5:18pm by kakeladi

blissful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissful Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 11

Okay CC members, I need some help from you since I'm not getting it from the bride!!!
She wants me to do the dessert table but only has a budget of $1000. This price includes a 5 foot tall fake cake.
What I need is some ideas for desserts/cakes that can be left out for the reception. I'm thinking of a cheesecake, cream puff trees, regular cake, and some pastries. But is it okay for a cake made out of mousse to be left out, will it turn into a sloppy mess?
Any ideas or recipes would be a great help.
Thanks to all
Laurie

10 replies
ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 11

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_34777,00.html?rsrc=search

I saw this very yummy looking being made on Barefoot Contessa the other day.... very upscale dessert....hope it helps!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 11

A friend and I did a dessert buffet for a bridal shower a number of years ago. We served chocolate cake, small lemon tarts, trifle, small cream puffs, small cheesecakes with cherry glaze and rocky road bars. Every thing was served in two or three bite sizes including the cake so that the ladies could feel comfortable sampling everything.

adrisss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrisss Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 11

I am also doing the same thing in may for a wedding and the bride is asking me for

mini peach tarts
mini mango tarts
mini cheesecake pineapple
mini cheesecake mango
mini apple pie
mini gourmet cupcakes
mini puff pastries with almond cream filling

let me put a picture of what I did for my son's baptism, back in July
LL

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 11

I did a dessert table about a year ago which included lemon tarts in shortbread tart shells, half a dozen varieties of chocolate-dipped biscotti (they had a coffee bar as well), little almond-flavored, sugar-glazed pastries, tart lemon cooler wedding cookies, a croquembouche centerpiece (also known as cream puffs icon_biggrin.gif ), and honey bars, which was a recipe given to me by the bride that she specifically requested. Can you tell they were lemon crazy? Everything was made from scratch and went over very well.

I certainly would not do all that PLUS the wedding cake for only a grand, though.

adrisss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrisss Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 11

I forgot the mini carrot and pineapple cupcakes

good luck!!!

icon_smile.gif

Adriana

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I certainly would not do all that PLUS the wedding cake for only a grand, though.

Agreeing especially with a five foot dummy cake and you havn't even started feeding people!

A decadent brownie is also a must for the men I think...PM me if you want a recipe...
Sounds like a fun project!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 11

I did this for my brothers wedding. I made plain truffles, almond truffles, orero truffles, mini-cheesecakes, mini-cherry and blueberry pies, mini-carrot cakes, macadamia white chocolate coconut bars, pineapple upside down cake, hungarian nut horns, cream puffs, mini-eclairs, pecan diamonds, and some other stuff I can't remember. The truffles, mini-cheesecakes, mini-pies , mini-carrot cakes, pecan diamonds and hungarian nut horns went over the best.

arianamaniacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arianamaniacs Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 11

At my Halloween wedding we included whoopie pies and cake pops.

I also made a pyramid using foil wrapped chocolates, which looks quite classy

I didn't see you mention cupcakes - is that an option for this bride? She might like the look of a five foot tall cupcake tower instead, so there is no fake food on the table. Or show her pictures of giant cakes made out of fabrics and laces. You can check pinterest for ideas.

With that budget though, you might think of doing some bowls of candy which children can fill bags with. Children were laying siege to our candy table all evening, which kept their attention and usually in a good mood :)

*Last edited by arianamaniacs on 2 Feb 2016 , 2:58pm
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 11

a 5' tall fake cake?  Not 5 tiers?  Wowza.  That would eat up the entire $1K right there.

be careful with cheesecake.  It can only be outside refrigeration for 4 hours.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 11

Hey folks........check the date on this post -- it's OLD .... originally posted  like 8-10 yrs ago:)

Never hurts to resurrect these as the info might be just what someone is looking for now :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%