Question About Flowers

Decorating By charlieinMO Updated 23 Mar 2005 , 11:49pm by charlieinMO

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 4

I have been wondering this for awhile and thought I would just ask. When you make flowers for cakes using fondant or gum tex or whatever, if you are going to put them on wire and use floral tape and all of that they can't be eaten right?

So, here is the question and it may not come out right but I'm gonna try, why wouldn't you just use artificial or real flowers instead of doing all of that work with edible flowers that they aren't going to eat? This may be an obvious thing to all of you expert cake decorators but I am fairly knew and of course "full of questions" The only thing that I can think of is that they just may look so much better made (after you have practiced A LOT of course) icon_razz.gif

Thanks for all of your help and patience with my questions!! icon_smile.gif

Charlotte

3 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 4

Just off the top of my head, I would say probably because flowers are toxic and shouldn't be on the cake. There are only a few that can be eaten (of course not grown with any pesticides). The other thing I would say is that you can keep it as a keepsake and it will still look the same as the first day (if stored properly). A lot of the gum paste flowers are really easy. I tried a few and had no problem at all, very easy. I also think that it's cool that you can make anything out of the different sugar pastes.

Ask as many questions as you need to. We are all here to help each other.

pastrypuffgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypuffgirl Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 4

Another thing is that when you make your own flowers you can make them whatever size you need them to be...and you can color them the exact color you need especially if you want them to match icing on the cake.
Some cake competitions will not let you enter any thing that is not edible on the cake.

Most people do it for the love of it! icon_smile.gif

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you guys for the help. Some things I didn't even think about but seem kind of obvious now that you say it!! Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Charlotte

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%