Pixie, Disco Or Sparkle?

Decorating By mamacc Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 3:52am by howsweet

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 29

Ok, I know the difference between these and luster dust, but what is the difference betweeen all the dusts that are NOT luster dusts? I recently bought some sparkle dust/mystical dust from sugarcraft, but that's the only one I have....so far. icon_biggrin.gif I've read through the whole stickied thread and I'm still a little unclear on it. And what do you typically use them for?

Thanks!
Courtney

28 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 2:14am
post #2 of 29

I'm curious too. I have the luster dust, and have used it, and I have the sparkle dust, but have never used that. Not sure what to use it on. Flowers??? I am really curious about the pixie dust. I think the difference with that is you sprinkle it on your finished cake, as opposed to mixing it with alcohol and spraying it on your cake.

BTW, where are you getting your pixie dust?? I have only seen it on cakesbysam.com.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 2:19am
post #3 of 29

I have found and love the DISCO DUST..that's like edible glitter.

I have used it on my red corset cake and the bed cake..if you see the "sparkly" stuff on them.

I have used it in my PREVAL sprayer..( oh yes..goodness that whole TERRIBLE FOR YOU CHICKEN LITTLE THREAD>...lol..Please, please...let's not start that debate again..I pray you!! ) and some Everclear and I LOVE, LOVE the way it looks..

I have used it on some of the "other" cakes but that is the "secret" gallery..lol

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:10am
post #4 of 29

what is a preval sprayer
mpc

RisqueBusiness Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:59am
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypastrychef

what is a preval sprayer
mpc

it's a bottle with a propellant...you fill the bottle with a mix of your medium and screw the bottle onto the bottom of the propellant and spray your surface...

there has been many a heated thread about the "FOOD QUALITY" of the product.

It can be found at the paint section of your hardware stores and it's less than 4 bucks! you can find their website...and it explains better.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:04am
post #6 of 29

Big discussion about these dusts here: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54059.html

Personally, I LOVE disco and pixie dusts (they are the same).

mamacc Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:09am
post #7 of 29

So, is sparkle dust the same thing as disco and pixie dusts?

Risque, how did you apply the disco dust to your corset cake? The finish on it is so smooth!

Courtney

RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:11am
post #8 of 29

I put into the preval sprayer as I stated before

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:15am
post #9 of 29

hey RisqueBusiness

which company sell the 2 jars for less than 3$.. i forgot can someone please tell me...

RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:18am
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent

hey RisqueBusiness

which company sell the 2 jars for less than 3$.. i forgot can someone please tell me...

Hey..are you back? preval is the company..they would sell them, you need to look in the paint department.

missyek Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:22am
post #11 of 29

[quote="mamacc"]So, is the same thing as disco and pixie dusts?/quote]

Nope. Pixie and Disco dusts look just like real glitter. Sparkle dust is is like luster dust with a higher sparkle to it.

TandTHarrell Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:26am
post #12 of 29

yes Im back....

RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:29am
post #13 of 29
Quote:

yes Im back....

how was China?

TandTHarrell Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:34am
post #14 of 29

no i didnt go to china...sorry wrong person.. im back becasue i burnt myself out from doing cakes...I live in japan military.....

mamacc Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:45am
post #15 of 29

Missyek, the sparkle dust that I bought from sugarcraft has a larger grain size than regular luster dust, but they also call it mystical dust on their site... Maybe I need to order some more to check out the differences myself??

Courtney

RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:08am
post #16 of 29
Quote:

no i didnt go to china...sorry wrong person.. im back becasue i burnt myself out from doing cakes...I live in japan military.....

well, last time I heard you were in some Asian country..lol...and here I thought you worked for a dentist , South someplace...boy..am I off!

TandTHarrell Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:11am
post #17 of 29

i was a dental tech in great lakes Il the ni moved to japan 10 months ago

missyek Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:57am
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Missyek, the that I bought from sugarcraft has a larger grain size than regular , but they also call it mystical dust on their site... Maybe I need to order some more to check out the differences myself??

Courtney

Yeah, definitely do that! Cakes By Sam has the pixie dust and Beryl's has disco dust. I also belive that Global Sugar Arts has something similar under then name of Mystical dust. You will definitely see a difference.

mamacc Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:53pm
post #19 of 29

Tanks Missyek, I was originally going to order from Beryls, but as I was shopping I compared the prices to sugarcraft, and sugarcraft's prices were better on the dusts and also on the cutters I was buying so I went with them for that order... I'll have to check out cakesbysam.

Courtney

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:17pm
post #20 of 29

I have gotten mystical dust from sugarcraft, the "snow sparkle" and I love to sprinkle it over the cake when its finished...it really does just look like the gentle sparkles in fresh snow... the light hits the dust and makes it look like very tiny glitter.

I want some more of it but I also want to try disco dust. Where can I find both at one store?

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:28pm
post #21 of 29

Sorry I have'nt got anything to add about these, it's just the topic headline made me smile...... sounds like they could be new childrens characters in a book icon_lol.gif ..... "PIXIE- DISCO an SPARKLE" icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:53pm
post #22 of 29

I LOVE disco dust!!! I suggested it for one wedding cake, and then other brides that saw the cake fell in love with it as well.....so it is now almost a requirement to have disco dust on a cake!!! icon_lol.gif

I don't spray it on...I do it the old fashioned way (lol)...I brush it on with a small paint brush. I let the buttercream accents crust just a bit, then brush or dab on the glitter. LOVE IT! thumbs_up.gif

I need to check into the preval sprayer like RisqueBusiness was talking about. Sounds WAY easier!!

RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 2:15pm
post #23 of 29

I know there is a HUGE and HEATED thread about the dangers of the PREVAL sprayer, but...

I to tried sprinkling the dust over my cakes and I was going through those little pots like they were CRACK! lol

with the sprayer, all I do is give one swipe, quickly and gently over the cake and done!

I use the rainbow disco dust and I love the look of it.

mocakes Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 2:23pm
post #24 of 29

...okay, I'm a little nervous asking this so as not to cause a debate....but never heard of a preval sprayer until now, but what do some consider "unsafe" about it??

RisqueBusiness Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 2:28pm
post #25 of 29

There was a discussion about the propellants used in the aerosol bottle...you can do a search and see all the pros and cons..

it's under preval sprayer at home depot for 3.48.

Some people found out the same ingredients that propel the Preval are the same that are in a can of Pam..and others came up with the fact that it's a product NOT approved for food use and just because Duff or other people use it..you shouldn't use it.

then there was the debate that I started..( hehehe) that it takes years of testing and millions in resources to get a product FDA 'ed and in the meantime they would have to pull the product off the market.

so..the conclution of the debate was this....

Use it at your /and customers own peril.....lol

Some people like me...still use it on cakes that are to be eaten..and some people decided to only use it on display cakes..

I say, look at all the fact and make your own choice!

mocakes Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 6:05pm
post #26 of 29

interesting... detective.gif

Thanks for shedding some light on the topic. Interestingly enough...I've used Pam for years and guess what....I'm still here! hehehe

Pookie958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie958 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 11:13pm
post #27 of 29

You can find pixie dust and disco dust ant sweetwise.com

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 1:43am
post #28 of 29

You answered a post that is 6 and a half years old. 

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 3:52am
post #29 of 29

That happens here all the time lately...not sure why it keeps happening!!  Weird.

The OP referred to Pixie dust - is that real dust from fairies? Anyone know how to get some of that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%