My Cool Opportunity!!

Business By momsandraven Updated 29 Nov 2005 , 6:31pm by MrsMissey

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 20

I had to tell you all of the opportunity I have coming up! I was trying to come up with a 'niche' market to focus on as far as getting the word out about my cakes. I finally settled on children's bday cakes, but especially cakes for multiples. I contacted the local Mothers of Multiples club and asked if I could advertise in their next newsletter. WELL, the group leader replied and asked if I was interested in participating in their upcoming vendor night!! I will be able to set up a display of a couple of dummy cakes, give out cake samples, hand out flyers and have my photo albums there. HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!!
So, November 28th is the big night! I'm going to make lots of business card magnets to hand out, bring (4) 1/4 sheet cakes in my best flavors (they are expecting a turnout of approx. 80 people or so), 2 photo albums (duplicates so more than one person can look at one time), and I am thinking about bringing some coffee too. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I'm so excited!!!!!!!! Now I just hope my knee can make it through the evening! I get my staples out from my surgery on the 23rd. I'm just going to try to sit as much as possible.

19 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 20

That sounds great! Congratulations and good luck!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 20

That is an excellent opportunity!! Way to go!!!

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 20

AWESOME!! Good for you!

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 20

Congrats! Good Luck!!

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 20

Wow that's great....Congratulations!!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 20

Momsandraven--
Like how you are bringing 2 photo albums (duplicates) to Mother of Multiples show. Get it--duplicates--twins!!! Ha! Ha! Not much sleep last night. Congratulations on your invite--I know you will "double" your cake orders. Ok--I'm going now--I'm just plain silly.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 20

Congratulations and good luck! I'm sure you'll "double" your orders!

Debbie

Cakemaster26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaster26 Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 20

Congrats and good luck.

Have fun!!!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 20

Way to go! I'm a member of our local multiples club and our bi-annual sales usually bring in a ton of people. Are you able to make some dummy cakes? Pics are great but people really like to see what your work will look like 'in real life'. Also, be sure to include girl and boy geared cakes. Your monkeys on the see-saw is a perfect one for this event!

Another thing is pricing, often a touchy subject. I know personally that I look for a deal whenever I can as I'm never buying for 1 but for 3. If there is any way to make it seem like you are giving them a great deal then go for it. Parents of multiples are almost always looking for deals or special pricing. Maybe even hand out coupons for $5 off their order or something like that or a 10% discount for members of the multiples club.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Oh yeah, one more thing...find out if they have a regular newsletter. I know in ours we offer space for advertising so if you could get a business card in there with the above offers I'm sure that would drive even more business for you.

momsandraven Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 12:40am
post #11 of 20

Thanks for the tips, tripletmom! icon_smile.gif I was thinking about offering a 15% discount for all first-time orders, and then maybe a 10% member discount if it works out that I get lots of orders from it. I think the bulk of my daughter's wardrobe for her first two years came from the biannual M.O.M.s sales! The group in by my MIL is huge, they have to use a school gymnasium for the sale, and even then you have to show up 2 hours early just to get a number to get in!!

I know what you mean about shopping for three. I don't have multiples, but mine are 'Irish twins'. LOL Their bdays are only 10 days apart, so I'm always shopping for both of them at the same time too.

Any other ideas for good cake designs?? I'm off to search the gallery!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 12:46am
post #12 of 20

Congratulations and best of luck! icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:23am
post #13 of 20

I'm soooo HAPPY FOR YOU!! That's great news!! I hope you get lots & lots of cake orders!!! Blessings!!!

I knew you had knee surgery but why did you have staples? That must have been some kind of surgery. Hope you'll be up to this~

Thanks for sharing your wonderful news!! So proud & happy for you!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:41am
post #14 of 20

That's an awesome opportunity! Congratulations. My only suggestion would be to make some sort of 3D or tiered cake, instead of just sheet cakes, so they can see the diversity of your talents.

Good luck!
Melissa

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:49am
post #15 of 20

Sounds like sooo much fun....except for the part about getting the staples out..ouch!!

Don't know if you would want to include cupcakes....but the Wilton cupcakes with the baby under that blankets would be cute if you put two babies under each blanket. Just a thought!

momsandraven Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:54am
post #16 of 20

That is a cute idea MrsMissey! icon_smile.gif I'll have to give it a try.

colocak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colocak Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 2:19am
post #17 of 20

What a great idea!! Good thinking on targeting one specific area of the industry!

MrsMissey Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 3:26am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

That is a cute idea MrsMissey! icon_smile.gif I'll have to give it a try.

..thanks! Let us know how it all goes....the entire thing sounds like such a great opportuinty for you!

momsandraven Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:07pm
post #19 of 20

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to post a follow-up! The Vendor night program was last night. I have mixed feelings about how it went. On the one hand, I passed out a lot of magnet business cards and cake samples. I decided to take my cake photo album instead of a dummy cake, and make a few Christmas decorated cakes to hand out samples. Everyone who took a piece loved it. So that was great! On the other hand, they had a very poor turn out, and so I would guess that there were only 40 or 50 people there total.
I got my neighbor a table next to mine, she makes baby and toddler bibs, so she came along and helped me carry my stuff since I've still got to use my crutches. All in all, I'm glad I did it though! icon_smile.gif
If you look in my pics, you'll see the 3 cakes I brought. The snowflake cake was my white caramel cake w/raspberry filling; the small purple cake was chocolate cake (no filling because my dog ate one of the small cake layers before I assembled the cake, so I skipped the layers.); and the rectangle cake was chocolate cake on bottom, peanut butter cake on top, with a peanut butter/chocolate fudge filling. (<- very rich!) Thanks for all of your ideas, etc! icon_lol.gif
OH! Geez, I almost forgot to mention that I got an order for a 1st birthday party for next month from this! YAY!!

MrsMissey Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:31pm
post #20 of 20

..even though the turnout was lower than expected, it sounds as though it was a success for you! Congrats on your cake order...I'm sure many more will follow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%