diane Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 5:28pm
post #1 of

i have a customer who is trying to lose weight. her birthday is coming up and she wanted to order a cake from me, but can't because she's on a diet. she said she'll be celebrating her birthday without a cake. does anyone know of a recipe for a sugar-free cake. i've also seen the sugar-free icing recipe here, but does it have less calories than regular icing!!

14 replies
CakesByJoJo Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 9:38pm
post #2 of

Hi Diane~

What a bummer to be on a diet and crave a cake!

Can I suggest a cupcake or a mini cake for her to share with a couple of friends? That will help her with portion control.

There are diabetic recipes here on CC that might work.

Happy baking,
Debbie

AgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 9:55pm
post #3 of

Have you tried splenda? Their website may have some sugar free cake recipes so I've heard. Never really looked for myself b/c I haven't had this issue arise yet.

Lisa Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 10:09pm
post #4 of

Have you thought about making her a "cake" made of jello? You can even mold it in a cake pan using the jello jigglers recipe. You could ice it with non-dairy whipped topping. Jello has a sugar-free version and I think cool-whip is practically fat-free. Personally, I'd blow my diet and eat cake! But jello is better than nothing at all.

southerncake Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 11:09pm
post #5 of

I think it would depend on which diet she is on. If she is doing low carb, I think my mother-in-law has gotten dessert recipes off of the Atkins website. If she is doing low cal, a friend I used to work with would bake with steevia. If you do a search I'm sure there are recipes available for use with that.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Amy

nashsmom Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 11:14pm
post #6 of

I just got two splenda cookbooks. What kind of cake recipe were you looking for? I made a carrot cake with splenda with cream cheese frosting which was good, but the frosting needs to be tweaked, 200 calories per serving, there's also a basic yellow cake, a chocolate cake roll. I would be happy to post the recipes for you if I know what you're looking for. I hate to see anyone go without cake on their birthday!

diane Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 12:46pm
post #7 of

wow, those are all great suggestions! icon_lol.gif i would be either doing a chocolate or basic yellow cake. i don't know what type of diet she's on, but as long as it's low calorie, that will work...is there also low cal. icings??

nashsmom Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 3:54pm
post #8 of

Yes there was an icing recipe also. I'll post them for you when I get home tonight.

nashsmom Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 4:44am
post #9 of

I got the recipes posted. If you do a search for the keyword splenda in the recipe index they should come up. If not, let me know & I'll try to find them for you. The cream cheese frosting recipe is: 8 oz tub light cream cheese, 4 oz fat free cream cheese, 1/4 cup splenda granular and 1 cup light whipped topping. Cream cheeses together, add splenda and beat for 1 minute. On low, add whipped topping and mix briefly until smooth. This frosting is the one I used, but it is way too thin to decorate with. I was thinking of using royal icing decorations on the cake, that way they could easily be removed.

There is also an angel food cake & a lemon layer cake here http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml;jsessionid=XHF3KMIQRPELACQPCCECUYYKB2IIWNSC?id=splenda/recipes/library.inc
and a how to for making splenda powdered to use like confectioners sugar here http://www.splenda.com/recipe_detail.jhtml?id=splenda/recipes/se_powderedsugar.inc

diane Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 3:06pm

thank-you sooo much! i really wanted to help out this particular customer. she was one of my first!!

MrsMissey Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 3:11pm

On the Splenda website there is a cake called Spring Fling..it is a yellow cake and is pretty good!

diane Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 6:59pm

thanks, i'll check it out!!

MrsMissey Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 7:04pm

...Diane...I like your new avatar!!! thumbs_up.gif

nashsmom Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 11:59pm

Diane, let me know how your cake comes out. I also have a carrot cake recipe that came out wonderfully. No one could tell that it was low carb, low fat. I'm glad I was able to help!

diane Posted 25 Mar 2005 , 1:30pm

thanks, mrsmissey.
nashsmom-thanks, she hasn't chosen a flavor yet. she's probably in shock to know that there are low-cal cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%