Apple Pie Experts

Decorating By sofiasmami Updated 21 Nov 2005 , 1:43am by Randa_000

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 18

Hi,
I'm very new to baking .. I'm supposed to bring an apple pie to my daughter's school next week ... I've done pies before but I've always bought the ready made pie crust.... now that I started baking nothing less than home made would be good enough..lol

I have a recipe from better homes and gardens cook book for a double crust apple pie .... do I need to bake the bottom part first before putting in the filling? anything I should know before venturing into this? .... I have so much stuff to make for next week that I can't afford any learning mistakes ... any assistance would be greatly appreciated icon_wink.gif

17 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 18

When I bake apple pies (not often enough occording to my husband lol) I don't bake the bottom first. put it in the dish and then pour your filling on top!! Good luck. I'm sure it will be great!

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 18

It's been a while since I baked apple pies, but I never pre-baked the bottom crust. As far as I know, you only need to do that when you are adding a liquidy filling - the bottom crust abosorbs too much liquid before it cooks and comes out soggy if you don't.

Watch what kind of apple you use ... I always used granny smith apples: you want one that will hold it's shape when cooked ... you don't want applesauce pie!

My recipe basically had me fill the crust with apple slices that had been tossed with lemon juice(overfill it... they will cook down a fair bit), then sprinkle a mixture of sugar and corn starch over top, add a few dots of butter and add your top crust (make sure to cut vents)

If you feel like getting fancy, use a cookie cutter and some extra pastry to add autumn leaves or apples or whatever on top! (use just a little beaten egg or egg white as a "glue")

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 18

when I bake apple pies I don't bake the crust first either, but I do put about 4 pats of butter under the top lattice (I think lattice is more decorative) so the bottom crust will be light and flakey.

alemrac978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alemrac978 Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 1:16am
post #5 of 18

I just baked an apple pie last night and it came out delicious. You do not need to bake the bottom first. Below is the recipe I used. Good luck! FYI I used Granny smith apples which makes them a little tart, next time I am going to use half granny smith's and half golden delicious.

Crust:
2 cups all purpose flower
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 salt
2/3 cups chilled unsalted butter or chilled vegetable shortening cut into 1/2 inch cubes chilled
1/2 cup ice water approximately

In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter or shortening until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal there may be a few pea sized pieces ( I do this with my hands)
Stir in enough of the ice water until the dough is completely moistened and begins to clump
Gather up dough and divid into 2 flat discs. One in 2/3rd portion and on in 1/3portions. wrap in waxed paper separately and chill for 1 hour

filling:
6-8 apples (peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch wedges
2 tbl of lemon juice
6 tbls of unsalted butter
2/3 cup of brown sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
milkor heavy cream 1 tbl
1/2 tsp sugar.

In a large bowl toss the apples with lemon juice. Heat 3 tbls of butter in large skillet over medium heat. add half of the apples and 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Once tender (5 min) place on the side to completely cool. Do the same as above with the other half of apples. Once apples are cooled mix in the flour and cinnamon. Place in pie shell and bake for 1-1 hour and 10 minutes or until the apples start to bubble. 375 degrees

For the dough just roll each out to fit into a 9 inch pan. Once u place the top half cut a small hole in the cent or pie. Brush the top of pie with milk and sprinkle sugar.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 4:27am
post #6 of 18

I bake my pies in a ceramic or stone pie dish. I put it on the bottom rack of the oven and bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then at 375 until the pie is bubbly, brown, and the apples are tender (if you can get to them with a fork)....about 45 minutes.

That way, the bottom crust is sure to be done! You may have to cover the top edges with foil near the end to keep from overbrowning.

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 4:36am
post #7 of 18

Hey, just jumping in... icon_smile.gif . My sister is the pie maker in our family. She uses the Crisco recipe for double crust (Cherry Pie recipe on the can) & bakes them in Corning Ware Pie Plates (Cornflower design). They are always PERFECT!!! She never bakes the pie crust first when making apple pies... it all cooks at the same time. Yummy!!! icon_biggrin.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 5:41am
post #8 of 18

I'm just going to share my recommendation on apples (I cheat and use Pillsbury refrigerator crust, otherwise I would have no hair left.) Never prebake though.

I usually use mostly Granny Smith apples and throw in a MacIntosh for a slightly less tartness, and because they pretty much dissolve and give you a nice thick filling.

I have recently discovered Honey Crisp apples (DELICIOUS!) and plan on using them (with 1 granny smith & 1 macintosh) in my Thanksgiving apple pie.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 18

thanks for the imput and the recipe ... I'm sure with all the tips from here my pie will be a sucess! icon_biggrin.gif

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 12:40pm
post #10 of 18

If you want a nice tender, flaky pie crust there's a few things you have to do.
Make sure you have cold butter/shortening and ice water. When mixing, do not overmix the dough-should see pea size pieces of butter/shortening. Let the dough rest in the fridge about a hour before rolling.

I like a half butter/shortening crust. Butter for the taste and shortening to make it flakey.

For apple pies, I like using two or three kinds. Some are softer than others and release more liquid. I like the apple pie recipe by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Here's a link to the recipe. You let the apples sit and release the juice then cook the juice.

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/dessert_american.html

Sandra
ps I was on a pie kick last fall and tried many recipes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 18

Silly question, but how long do you bake your apple pies? I made my first one a few weeks ago and baked 35 mins. I think it could've gone a little longer. My grandmother was the pie baker in the family. Never used a recipe and her apple pie was the best! Unfortunately, she passed last year and no one has her recipe. I came very close, but i wasn't sure how long to bake it.

I want to make it for Thanksgiving, but if it's not up to snuff, I can't serve it to the family, LOL. I have quite a standard to live up to!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 18

I have decided that baking times depend upon the kind of apples used and how thick they have been sliced...

I've baked hundreds of pies in my day and can just about judge baking times by those factors.

I don't like pies that have mush for filling because the apples have been baked too long.

I test by sliding a knife into one of the cuts I've made in my top crust. Almost like checking potatoes that have been boiling to see if they are done.

I agree that the Granny Smith/Macintosh combo is a winner. The Grannys stay a bit firmer and the Macs create that nice thick filling.

Does anyone else add tapioca to thicken the fillings? I just don't like using flour....

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:10am
post #13 of 18

I was just going to say the same thing. Definately use Tapioca pudding instead of the flour....it's just better icon_smile.gif

Chefsaltyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefsaltyblue Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:26am
post #14 of 18

I always sprinkle a small amount of powdered sugar onto the crust before adding a fruit filling, it helps keep the bottom crust flaky. I also chill the pie crust for at least 30 minutes after putting into the pie plate- it stops shrinkage. As for thickening, I use cornstarch.

Randa_000 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:36am
post #15 of 18

tapiocas pudding? I have never heard of that...I am going to have to give it a try.

I love the ideas we all share here!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:40am
post #16 of 18

Randa...you buy the tapioca in a box...not ready made pudding...it will absorb the juices in the cooking pie..and thicken them.

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:41am
post #17 of 18

You can buy dry tapioca in the cereal or baking aisle(depends on the store). That is what you use to thicken fruit pies.

Sandra

Randa_000 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:43am
post #18 of 18

oh, ok, that makes sense....I am definately trying that for Thanksgiving when I make my next apple pie...

Thanks for the info!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%