3D Tractor Cake

Decorating By LJJohnson Updated 17 Jul 2013 , 6:55pm by Miss Cakes

LJJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJJohnson Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 11

Hello! My dad is a big John Deere tractor guy, and I want to make a 3D tractor cake for his 60th birthday. Does anyone have a good "how to" on that? Also, I want it to stand up off of the cake board, so it looks like i'ts sitting on it's wheels instead of it's belly. What do you usually use to put under something like that, that is clear or dosen't take away from the cake?

Thanks for your help!!

LJ

10 replies
Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 11

How about this one? its the only one i have!

http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/QC-tractor.jpg

If you like it then just let me know and i wil pm you the 'how to'

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 11

Somebody posted a topic a month or 2 ago with instructions on how to make 3D vehicles out of cake. It was really neat but I'm not sure where it's located on the board.

ATTENTION JAN H! Perhaps you can help us with a link to the thread I'm talking about. icon_smile.gif

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:08am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJohnson

Also, I want it to stand up off of the cake board, so it looks like i'ts sitting on it's wheels instead of it's belly. What do you usually use to put under something like that, that is clear or dosen't take away from the cake?
LJ

I did this with my school bus cake...I think it's in my gallery or for sure my website...propped it up with a small rectangular shaped "Glad"-ware container. I was probably 2 1/2 x 5 inches and I cut the lip off of it to make it just right. Ya know...I think I even posted pictures in a thread...let me see if I can find it and post the link.

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:13am
post #5 of 11

Okay, here is the link to the thread discussing vehicle underbellies...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38216-.html

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:15am
post #6 of 11

I make small cake sculptures and put them on top of a round or square layer cake (they're in my photos). The only reason I do this though is because people tend to like the idea of eating a filled layer cake. I love the bigger 3D vehicles though....if only I could convince my customers to order them.......... icon_smile.gif

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:35am
post #7 of 11

I made a tractor trailer a few weeks ago and used a piece of styrofoam covered in the same black paper that I covered my cake board in. You could barely see the support at all. I also used sugar cookie pieces for those sections that needed to be too thin for cake, but that I wanted to still sculpt. It made that section heavier, but I liked the look of it.
I cant include the pic here because I dont have one small enough, but if you look in my pics, you'll see it there.

puzzlegut Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 11

Does anybody remember the thread that I was talking about? Somebody posted detailed instructions on how to assemble a 3D vehicles cake. It seemed like they also posted pictures showing that they took donuts dipped in chocolate and used them as the wheels for the tractor cake. I tried looking but I can't seem to find it.

puzzlegut Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 11
LJJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJJohnson Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for all of the ideas! I think I'm starting to get somthing kind of figured out in my head! If anyone else has any more ideas, I'd still LOVE to hear them!

Miss Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss Cakes Posted 17 Jul 2013 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 11

Does anyone have a tutorial by Lindy Smith from her book:  "Quick and Clever Party Cakes" of a farm tractor.  There is a picture of this tractor called  "Harvesting Tractor" in her book.  I am in dire need of this tutorial.  Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%