I Know Fondant Is Yucky.....

Baking By xkuuipo415x Updated 29 Nov 2005 , 4:34pm by llee815

xkuuipo415x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkuuipo415x Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 18

but is there anything you can do to make it taste at least halfway decent? I usually use the MMF, but the person I am making the cake for has issues with Marshmallows - so I won't be using that. Can I add anything to the regular boxed Wilton fondant that would make it taset better?

Thanks in advance - I am new here - so I apologize if this question has already been posted and answered.

icon_rolleyes.gif

17 replies
juliet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliet Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 18

Hi there. I don't know much as I am new too, but I do know that Wilton fondant is gross!! Why don't you just try a different brand of pre-made fondant?

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 18

Don't buy Wilton's!!

Seriously ... there are other brands out there that are not nasty ... I believe many people here use Satinice.. I used Mill Lane (www.creativecutters.com) and nobody has ever complained about the taste!

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 18

Definitely stay far away from Wilton's fondant! I can't even see how they sell much of that stuff...YUCK!
I use Satin Ice and I love it!! It has a nice vanilla flavor and is not sickly sweet. I have used it alot and everyone loves it. I even made a princess cake for a 3 year old totally covered in it and I thought for sure the kids would pick it off but they all gobbled it right up!
Definitely give it a try. I get mine from www.thebakerskitchen.com. Great customer service and they have all the colors and chocolate too.
HTH,
Heather

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 18

You can also make your own using Collette Peter's recipe. Sorry i don't have the recipe with me, but its definitely something you can do at home. I know someone posted the recipe earlier...i'll look to see if i can find it.

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 18
sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 18

I use satin ice and love it.

xkuuipo415x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkuuipo415x Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 18

Thank you all so much for your help - I have one of Collette Peters book's and I think the recipe may be in there also. I supoose I should order most of the fondant online than purchase the Wilton stuff.

Thanks again!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 9:26am
post #9 of 18

When comparing the ingredients or marshmallows and rolled fondant, what does your client have issues with? They are so similar.....

Marshmallows: gelatin, water, syrup, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, cornstarch, confectioners sugar,

Home-made Rolled Fondant : Gelatin, Water, glucose (or corn syrup), Crisco, Glycerin, confectioners'. sugar

If it is some dietary thing, find out more details especially when dealing with the ingredients of commercial products.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 18

Some ppl think they don't like marshmellows so they wont like fondant...but once u make MMF, it's not marshmellows anymore, if MMF..therefore she wont knw if she likes it unless she tries it...give her a small sample, see if that helps.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 18

Hahaha, "issues with marshmallows." That made me LOL. icon_biggrin.gif

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 18

You could also use chocolate plastic; there is a recipe in Toba's book and I think I posted once in another thread...please don't ask me which thread because I have 4 kids, a husband and have slept since then so there is no way I will remember icon_smile.gif I can repost if needed.

Berta

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:39pm
post #13 of 18

What about rolled buttercream? That is pretty decent tasting.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 18

icon_smile.gif Hmmmm Yucky ? but it is the one used by award winning cakes made by Colette Peters, and all the beautiful cakes we see in major competitions. Even in the Oklahoma Sugar Art, Wedding Cake Classics, Birthday Cake Challenge, Spooky Cake Challenge, Cup CAke Challenge and on and on and on.. These people must be doing something right, otherwise they won't be in these prestigious competitions.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 18

You might ask the person what the issue is with marshmellows. I remember reading somewhere on here once about some vegetarians that do not eat stuff with gelatin in it. If that happens to be the case, then she might not want fondant either. Can you just use buttercream?

C

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:58pm
post #16 of 18

Are these competitions being judged for taste also? Haven't watched them so don't know. I'm struggling with "Looks" vs taste also. I knocked myself out last week to make my first wedding cake, which was fondant covered with fondant roses (posted in my photo album).....I was terribly proud of this first effort. People rave over the taste of my cakes, so I can't imagine that this cake was much different from all the rest...as far as the cake itself goes...

SO HERE'S THE BOOGER~ when I spoke with my customer afterward, she thanked me told me how pretty it was....and when I asked how it tasted....I could tell she was disappointed.....and it was because she likes BC. But the cake she chose was fondant. I don't do samples....I guess I will begin. I used MMF...... I feel that I need to tell them that they can't "have it both ways". When my kids get married.....we're going to have a beautiful tiered fondant cake.....and we'll serve BC sheetcake. If $$$ isn't an issue, this may just be my new advice. I'm still mulling it over in my mind.

princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessjellybean Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 4:00pm
post #17 of 18

Has anybody tried mccalls' fondant, wondering if thats anybetter than wilton.

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 4:34pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoov

SO HERE'S THE BOOGER~ when I spoke with my customer afterward, she thanked me told me how pretty it was....and when I asked how it tasted....I could tell she was disappointed.....and it was because she likes BC. But the cake she chose was fondant. I don't do samples....I guess I will begin. I used MMF...... I feel that I need to tell them that they can't "have it both ways". When my kids get married.....we're going to have a beautiful tiered fondant cake.....and we'll serve BC sheetcake. If $$$ isn't an issue, this may just be my new advice. I'm still mulling it over in my mind.

Making a dummy cake with fondant and then the BC cake shouldn't be overly expensive, I wouldn't think. That is a good idea though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%