Getting 'started' With A Cake Draw-Feedback Please

Business By oceanspitfire Updated 4 Jul 2007 , 2:37am by indydebi

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 8

Ok so here it is. I'm sheepishly pushing away the business pursuits because while I think I have a lot of creative juices flowing, I lack some basic decorating skills, mostly that just require practice. Like smooth icing and making flowers and borders and what not. Now that my hours got cut at my one job I figure that's my cue to spend more time at home practicing these things. Ok so I have a commercial kitchen lined up right next door to my apartment. I havent gotten a business licence yet. I know there are 3 ladies who very word of mouth do cakes in town. Lowkey like, although one of the ladies I found out is going to be at the bridal show next weekend which I'm going to. So I sorta wanna snoop and check out the competition. I know none of them advertise though.
My aim is to get a licence and advertise in the regional parenting magazines and promote myself down at the farmer's market every Saturday. My little 'gimmick' that I'm in a longwinded way sort of asking for feedback on...is a cake draw. Over the last year of being on this site I recall reading some posts about the 'win a free cake concept' - so Saturdays when I sell my little goodies at the farmers market, I am toying with the idea of having a cake draw (with certain stipulations- I recall reading posts about people wanting some 5 story cake with all the trimmings and the cost absorbed being insane lol).
So long story longer, if you're still with me at this point. I would like to know what was the push that got you into charging money? Like how did you ask? I havent had anyone beating my door down- nor do I think Im good enough yet, plus I'm not licenced yet (well one coworker asked what I charged last year lol). Any 'gimmicks' like win a free cake or whatever? Did it work? Any thoughts?

7 replies
rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:07am
post #2 of 8

The cake draw sounds like a lovely idea. Who wouldn't want to win something!
As for when do you start charging.......this was one I struggled with for a long time. most of the cakes I made were for people I really cared about and it was sorta like my gift to them (yes they did offer to pay). So last week I made this 3 tiered 14, 10 and 6 inch cake for a dear lady in my church who was turning 90. For free of course, again, my gift to her and Yes the church offered me money and I said no. Any how....a different lady comes up to me and says I'd like to pay you to make a 10 inch replica of this cake (color and ribbon), I need it in two weeks.

I almost cried I was so excited!!! Somebody who did not know me wants on of my cakes and is going to pay me for it.....YAHOOOOO!

Also there comes a point where you just get tired of doing freebies. I went to Safeway and saw the most horrendous 3 tired display wedding cake. It was so messy! I asked the lady what the sizes were and she told me 14, 10 and 6...holy cow these were the same sizes I made (free) for the birthday party! I could hardly wait to ask what they charged. She told me $549.00. My head was buzzing...WHAT? I could get that kind of money for a cake that size. It got me a little excited...need to get a license and MAKE SOME MONEEEEYYYYY!!!!!!

royalfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
royalfrosting Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 6:49am
post #3 of 8

Hello,, I did about the same thing, I started out making cakes on my own before I took a wilton class, and i always gave them as a gift,, for baby showers, wedding showers etc... then i started getting invited to all these parties that required a cake, and I hardley new the person..hahahah so , i figured I was being invited only to get the free cake,, so I thought I needed to take a class to get my skills worth charging for.. When I did it was the best thing ever..my cake no longer were unsmooth,or droopy or loaded with plastic items for decorations,, i then bought a bunch of books and started to learn new techniques,, so this is the best thing you should do.. make sure that when you decide to start charging that your cakes are professional looking,, I used each cake order as a practice board,, if it was not the best, i did not charge as much,, if it was awsome i charged.. 1/4 sheets 20.00 or 25..00 for custom,,, 1/2 sheets 30.00 3/4 sheets 40.00 fullsheets 55.00 i have a line that says for custom cakes add 5 or 8.00 more per cake due to complexity of the design,, now you can keep adding more on if you like .. i have a sheet typed up with round cakes oval cake heart cakes square cake 2 lyer with filling and design,, and i have a base price for them all, i show this to the customer and they can see what budget and size best fits them,, if they want something way out of this world then of course charge them correctly for it. now im in ohio in a small town,, so best thing is to price who is around you.. and if you don't have a lot of overhead then you can be a smidge lower than others.. hope this helps you,, if you need anything else let me know. royalfrositng...

UrJewelryLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UrJewelryLady Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 8

I have recently started selling some of my cakes as opposed to giving them away. I started with my church. I got ahold of the baby/wedding shower coordinator & offered to make those & have them pay me what they would normally pay. They get a nicer cake & I get exposure. I also make 6 inch sized cakes for practice & give those away - one lady has started ordering cakes from me.

How many cakes do you need to be selling to have to have a business license?

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 8

I volunteer free cakes for friends, family, and work occassions, and with each one of those i supply plenty of business cards for the guests for the taking. I swear the party giver to secrecy that I didnt charge them or gave them a reduced price for the cake, and give them the price I would be charging. Its a little slow moving, but it works. I had a baby shower where dozens of people were praising me and asking for business cards, unfortunately i hadnt thought of the idea untill later that night.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 8

Anyone who wants to sell cakes must be inspected by their local (usually county) health or ag dept.
Laws vary by state, county and city/village. Most have very strict laws. In most states you must have a completely seperate kitchen that meets laws like washable walls, floors, and ceilings; covered lights; stainless 3 bay sink w/drain boards; a handwashing sink and a mop sink (yes, all 3); hot water; and all equipment (mixer; oven, floor covering etc) must be commercial grade just for starters.
It is not how many you sell, it is from cake #1 that you get money for that makes you need a license.

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:27am
post #7 of 8

WHERE DO YOU LIVE? IN OHIO WE HAVE SOMETHING CALLED COTTAGE LAWS, THEYRE ARE RULES BUT IF YOUR PACKAGE CLEARLY STATES THAT THE PRODUCT WAS BAKED OUT OF THE HOME AND IF NOTHING NEEDS REFRIGERATION YOU DONT NEED TO BE LICENSED

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 2:37am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrJewelryLady

How many cakes do you need to be selling to have to have a business license?

One.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%