Baking Questions

Decorating By asianmango1976 Updated 21 Mar 2005 , 8:10pm by diane

asianmango1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asianmango1976 Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 3:09am
post #1 of 11

I'm so glad I found this site!!!

When using Wilton cake pan and decorating. Is it easy, moderate or hard to decorate it?? How long does it take to decorate the cake..What do you use to get the cake out. I know when I bake bundt cake it breaks...Can I use Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines cake mix to do this...

Thanks,
Brenda

10 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 3:34am
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianmango1976

I'm so glad I found this site!!!

When using Wilton cake pan and decorating. Is it easy, moderate or hard to decorate it??

They are all three depending on what one you choice to do ..

Quote:
Quote:

How long does it take to decorate the cake..

Everyone is different but I would say about an hour would be good for a beginner..

Quote:
Quote:

What do you use to get the cake out.

You spray the pan with pam and you turn the cake out on to a wire rack to cool .. I place a towel on my racks (a Flour sack towel) they are 100% cotton and they are thin...

Quote:
Quote:

I know when I bake bundt cake it breaks...

Sound like to me your not spraying the whole pan... They should not break

Quote:
Quote:

Can I use Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines cake mix to do this...

You can bake with any cake mix that you would like to use or you can use scratch cake too .. its all up to what you want to use..

I hope these have helped you ..

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 11:26am
post #3 of 11

Ladycake is right, I'm fairly new to cake decorating and it takes me around an hour to decorate (and 2 to clean the mess I made) icon_lol.gif

I decorated an Easter cake for my work buddies yesterday and from the time I began making the icing to my last finishing touch it did take me an hour - granted I baked the cake Sat and did a chocolate transfer Sat too.

I usually use the wilton cake release on my baking pans, love that stuff!, I've never had a cake stick yet!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 11

Me too!! Love Wiltons cake release...but being here in Germany I cant find it, so I go to our commissary and get the Bakers Joy spray and it works fine. I have never had a cake break coming out of a pan, but stacking it yes... icon_redface.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ladycake Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

...but being here in Germany I cant find it

Make your own... that is what I do and I love it .. I put Parchment paper on the bottom of my pans and then the cake release on the sides and it all comes out nicely and there is no broken sides...

1 cup white crisco
1 cup vegetable oil (liquid oil)
1 cup flour

Mix it all up with your mixer and put it in the container with a lid and sit in the cabinet... You may have to stir once in a while .. GET you a good pastry brush to paint it on with or a paper towel...

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 11

As usual I always find invaluable hints, tips and advice! Thanks for the recipe Ladycakes.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for this, what a money saver. I am almost out of my cake release- after having to bake a bunch of cakes yesterday for a bridal shower cake.

Ladycake Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 11

its so cheap and you always have this stuff on hand...

Now if any of you are using Sweetex I would not use that in this I would use the Crisco... That is what I do too..

its going to be a kinda lite gray white paste looking thing.. its going to be thick and its going to be different looking then what your use to seeing but it works...

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 11

Ok, I have some butter flavored crisco that was leftover from my last major cake, would that work?

Ladycake Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

Ok, I have some butter flavored crisco that was leftover from my last major cake, would that work?

I am not for sures but I dont see why it would not.... its going to make it a yellow in color one then the pail gray that mine is ... and if it dont this is so cheap that you can just toss it in the trash...

But if you make it with this and you try it please let me know how well it works for you ..

Meaning you want to do a test cake before you have a paid cake .. LOL ..

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 11

flayvurdfun, they don't have the wilton spray at your bx? they do here!
i would think that they would have it there. you may want to request it. if it's something that others will buy, then they might keep it in stock regularly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%