Please Help:)

Decorating By brekka Updated 14 Feb 2007 , 11:52pm by brekka

brekka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brekka Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 8

I'm working on my first stacked cake. I'm always over ambitious, so I chose to do a topsy turvy. I just have a few questions. First of all, one of my layers is a white cake with a banana pudding filling and butterscotch-cream cheese frosting. I was wondering if the pudding would make the cake soggy? My other question: I plan on using the Viva or Melvira method on my buttercream, but I'm confused about how to make the fondant stick. I realize my frosting will need to crust (or cool) before I smooth it out, but how do I attach the fondant shapes to it? Will they just stick, or do I need to slightly dampen the back? I realize how silly these questions seem, but I'm really confused icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks!

7 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 8

Haven't used the pudding for a filling yet, but I can answer your other question=) When I attached my fondant pieces, I just lightly wet the piece I was attaching with water, and it stuck just fine=) Jen

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 8

I haven't used pudding either but I have used fondant accents on buttercream. I just piped a little buttercream on the back just like you attatch royal icing flowers. The wishing well cake in my photos was a buttercream cake with fondant flowers and rocks and I used buttercream for it.
HTH.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 8

I think I've heard this about filling.....put a thin layer of buttercream down first, let it crust, then put your filling. It'll help keep the seepage to a minimum.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 8

I have used pudding in between the cake layers and just make sure you put an icing dam before you put the filling in. For the dam I just fill my bag with no tip (just the coupler on it) then go around the outside of the cake. Mine have been fine. On sticking the fondant onto the cake, I use Pam spray. If my cake is crusted I spray the whole cake with pam spray (NOT THE BUTTER FLAVOR) and it adheres just fine. As far as the decorations, the gum glue from the new Fondant and Gum Paste Wilton course is AWESOME, you just put tiny pieces of wilton gum paste into a small container and add a few tablespoons of water, stir and then use it as you would glue. Apply it with a paintbrush. Good Luck!

jcakes17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcakes17 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 8

Dont really have any helpful advice but good luck.

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 8

Thats a big undertaking for your first stacked cake! Your like me. If your gonna do it GO BIG!! icon_biggrin.gif Can't wait to see your pics!

brekka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brekka Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much! Your advice has been so helpful! Hopefully at the end of this I'll still want to post pictures icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%