Gumpaste...what On Earth?

Decorating By kmarsh Updated 16 Nov 2005 , 10:04am by vitade

kmarsh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmarsh Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, as you can tell by the title next to my screen name - I'm a newbie. I took the wilton classes, etc. I've made a few cakes but nothing spectacular. I want to get better...being on this website and looking at all the fantastic work you ladies and gentlemen do is such inspiration. However, I've seen some cakes that I would love to make only they are made by using gumpaste. How does this stuff work? Is it hard to make? Hard to work with? Can you buy it? Thanks for your help!!

6 replies
thesocialfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesocialfrog Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 7

Wilton sells a powder Gumpaste and all you do is add water to it. It is very easy to work with. I love using it. I have been using it to make my decorations instead of fondant.

RoseAnn

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 7

Gumpaste is a sugar based medium that dries very hard. It is mostly used to make flowers and decorations that are no eaten. It is easy to make. Wilton has a mix, and Nicholas Lodge's website has a recipe-his is easy to make and is a whiter product. You can also order it from his website, ready made, but it is more expensive. It does give you a chance to work with the product to know what it should be like.

TERRYHORTON Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TERRYHORTON Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:31am
post #4 of 7

hmmmm...can't be eaten? why? is it yucky tasting or lethal?

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:44am
post #5 of 7

Yucky tasting but safe.

rainbowz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbowz Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:32am
post #6 of 7

Anyone know where to get that tylose stuff for a good price? It's an incredibly common ingredient (listed as cellulose gum or sodium CMC) in all sorts of products from toothpaste to ice cream so it can't be THAT expensive but on the shelf, packaged for cake making, it's $9 for 2 ounces!

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 10:04am
post #7 of 7

Usually it's used to make detailed flowers and leaves. It gets really hard so, it's not something you'd usually chomp on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%