Icing Question

Decorating By havenleigh Updated 18 Nov 2005 , 5:59am by MrsMissey

havenleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havenleigh Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 5:57am
post #1 of 8

Is there an icing I can make that isn't as sweet as buttercream yet I can still smooth it out using my Viva? I need it to ice a cake. I have been using buttercream, but lately I have had 2 people say it is too sweet. Also the last two cakes I have made, the buttercream will crack when transporting it. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the icing but I thought maybe it could.

7 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 6:05am
post #2 of 8

I made the chocolate WBH (whimsical bake house) and it is not near as sweet, more like whipped cream, but you can't smooth it with a papertowel.
You have to put it in the fridge and chill then take it out and smooth with a spatula dipped in hot water...Have you seen that method discussed? It's really not hard and the person I made the cake for loved this icing.

firegal79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firegal79 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 6:10am
post #3 of 8

I used the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco buttercream recipe and I used salted butter. That takes alot of the sweetness out of it. Don't get me wrong it is still sweet, just not knock your socks off sweet. It is very easy to smooth when you ice your cake and it is great for decorations. icon_biggrin.gif

brittchris1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittchris1 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 6:32am
post #4 of 8

I am a newbie on here. I love CakeCentral first of all. I have seen a lot of cakes on here that were made with MM Fondant, I would like to know what MM stands for and how it is different from Wilton's ready made fondant which is the only kind I have used so far. Please help!

cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 6:36am
post #5 of 8

MMF is marshmallow (MM) fondant...I have never made it, but there is a tutorial that tells how to make it on this site...

havenleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havenleigh Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 5:27am
post #7 of 8

thank you all for your suggestions. I will experiment a little and see what works for me

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 5:59am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittchris1

I am a newbie on here. I love CakeCentral first of all. I have seen a lot of cakes on here that were made with MM Fondant, I would like to know what MM stands for and how it is different from Wilton's ready made fondant which is the only kind I have used so far. Please help!

Welcome to Cakecentral! Here is a link that will help with some of the abbreviations:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

HTH (Hope that helps!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%