Live And Learn! Hehehe!

Decorating By katy625 Updated 15 Feb 2007 , 12:05am by Epi

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 3:23am
post #1 of 25

Well, I know white chocolate really isn't "chocolate" especially Nestle chips but I wanted to see how it would react with cream, melted like a ganache. OMG It looked sooooooooo gross! It seriously turned out like egg drop soup! Darn. Oh well, just so you know.....that doesn't work! icon_biggrin.gif

24 replies
blaquescarlett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blaquescarlett Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:38am
post #2 of 25

LMAO! Thanks for the heads up! lol.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:43am
post #3 of 25

It's not all white chocolate--just the chips. They have something in them that makes them gummy when you melt them (helps them keep their shape when baked).

If you want to try again, use it in bar form and you won't have the icky mess!

katy625 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyPJ

It's not all white chocolate--just the chips. They have something in them that makes them gummy when you melt them (helps them keep their shape when baked).

If you want to try again, use it in bar form and you won't have the icky mess!

thanks!!! I'll try that! thumbs_up.gif

HunBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HunBun Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 25

Someone on CC posted a while back that Walmart carries real white chocolate chips. I went and sure enough, they do. I haven't tried melting them yet, so if anyone has any success with them, I'd love to know!

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 25

I made the mistake of makeing ganache with nestle chocolate chips the melted chocolate just sat at the bottom of the pan like a big pile and gooo!!!! definitly working with bar form next time.

Epi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Epi Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 25

The chocolate you guys are using is already tempered. That is part of the problem here.
This is what we we do we use Merckens Chocolate melting caps. This is also referred to Merckens Chocolate melting coating. Some people say since you are using a coating it is not real chocolate well to the snobs this is true. What is nice you can buy Merckens Chocolate and melt it in the microwave and do your guanche from that. Just do a google search for Merckens Chocolate lots of sites sale it. Also when melting your Merckens Chocolate set your microwave to 50% power and use a plastic bowl never use a glass bowl it will continue to cook and it will go bad.

chonrath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chonrath Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 25

Epi,

Thanks for the info. Are the Merkens Chocolate melting caps the same thing as Candy Melts?

Epi Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chonrath

Epi,

Thanks for the info. Are the Merkens Chocolate melting caps the same thing as Candy Melts?

yup we do all of our ganache's out of it

Bull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bull Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 25

Would Wilton's Candy wafers work?

Epi Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 25

I have never used those I have no idea sorry icon_cry.gif

HollyPJ Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunBun

Someone on CC posted a while back that Walmart carries real white chocolate chips. I went and sure enough, they do. I haven't tried melting them yet, so if anyone has any success with them, I'd love to know!

They still won't work. I used expensive Guittard white chips and they were gooey too. It's just the stuff they have to mix with the chocolate to make it stay in chip form--it'll keep them from melting smoothly.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 25

hmmmmmm...I almost always use chips...not been a problem so far.

HollyPJ Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 25

what brand? Maybe some brands will work and some won't. I'd be interested to know.

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 25

I've always used Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips to make ganache and have never had a problem either.

HollyPJ Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 9:01pm
post #16 of 25

We're talking about white chocolate chips only.

I use semi-sweet choc chips all the time for ganache too.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 9:04pm
post #17 of 25

Sam's choice, Nestle...pretty much any of 'em that said "made with real cocoa butter"....don't laugh...it may or may not have anything to do with anything but I prefer seeing the word "real" on the package. The ratio for whipping cream to chocolate is different depending on what percentage of chocolate you use...white chocolate uses the least amount of whipping cream per cup....the darker the chocolate, the more whipping cream. I also found that the heat of the whipping cream doesn't need to be near as high with the white as with the darker either. I have gotten clumping when the whipping cream was too hot.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 9:07pm
post #18 of 25

white chocolate is a lot more finicky than dark chocolates. It will seperate and look yucky if you heat it too quickly or at too high a heat. It won't take as much heat as a cocoa based choclate. It also must be stirred while it is melting.

I believe you let the chocolate get too hot.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm
post #19 of 25

Here are the top limits for melting various types of chocolate

Bitter/semisweet chocolate :+45'C (113F)

Milk chocolate :+42'C (107,6F)

White chcolate :+40'C (104F)

some chocolatiers do not recommend taking chocolate over 90 degrees F

Epi Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 9:23pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ape

I've always used Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips to make ganache and have never had a problem either.

I am trying to point out already tempered chocolate and melting it with out following strict guidelines of tempering can cause you issues. I am trying to suggest an easy way to melt chocolate with out using the tempering method. We have been tempering chocolate and using mercken's coating's for years. Tempering chocolate takes a lot of practice to get it right. We see so many people that come in our store and do the same thing over and over again they make the mistake of using chocolate that is already tempered like hershey's and it becomes a mess because they did not follow the proper tempering procedue. For the average person who does not have much time mercken's chocolate is the best for them and so much faster and it is a real easy thing to do that acheives the same result as taking the time to temper the chocolate. I hope I helped you understand better what I was talking about. Pm me and I will go further into detail about this subject if you wish thumbs_up.gif

katy625 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:15pm
post #21 of 25

Thanks for the info everyone! I pm'd you Epi. So, Im taking it then that you can do a poured ganache using white chocolate? I would love a recipe to try!

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:33pm
post #22 of 25

I recently used the Sam's Choice white chocolate chips to make a covering for my cake balls. I just melted it in the microwave with about 1/4 cup of heavy cream and it worked. This was my last attempt because I have tried several times to make a white chocolate ganache only to make the gooey mess you all art talking about. The only thing that I didn't like is the chips weren't really white 'ish'. The end result was more light yellow than off white. I think I will try the bar next time.

Epi Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:39pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjudania

I recently used the Sam's Choice white chocolate chips to make a covering for my cake balls. I just melted it in the microwave with about 1/4 cup of heavy cream and it worked. This was my last attempt because I have tried several times to make a white chocolate ganache only to make the gooey mess you all art talking about. The only thing that I didn't like is the chips weren't really white 'ish'. The end result was more light yellow than off white. I think I will try the bar next time.

That is tempered chocolate you are working with that is why things are not right. Please if you are not going to temper your chocolate properly (putting it in the microwave is not proper) then use chocolate coating's Like Mercken's. Those are designed to melt the way you are trying to do. If I can be of any more help to you please pm me. icon_smile.gif

katy625 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:44pm
post #24 of 25

Thanks for the info Epi! thumbs_up.gif So how much cream to Merckens would I use?

Epi Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 12:05am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy625

Thanks for the info Epi! thumbs_up.gif So how much cream to Merckens would I use?

This how you prepare your cake for a ganache coating.
1. level your cake.
2. Put your cake on a board that is the same size of your cake.
3. Put a thin crumb coat layer of icing on your cake.
4. Pour the ganache over your cake right after you get your chocolate melted in the whipping cream.

This is how you make a ganache.
Use 14 oz of Merckens chocolate to a half a cup of whipping cream.
(finely chop up 14oz of merckens to be added to the whipping cream)

Heat your whipping cream until it is just under boiling take the whipping cream off the stove and then taking your merckens melts that are finely chopped up add them to the whipping cream this will make a very smooth surface almost like glass. Now pour over your cake. Be sure that you stir you mix to the point were it looks very smooth and no lumps. Enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%