Torte - What Is It And Why Do It

Decorating By midwestmom Updated 28 Jul 2013 , 6:02pm by BatterUpCake

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:12pm
post #31 of 42

I just recently started torting my cakes and I'll never go back. I have gotten so many comments on how moist my cakes are. I have found that the cakes are more sturdy as well b/c filling is spread thin in each layer instead of one thick layer of filling!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:22pm
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

It's to cut the cake in half & ice it back together, is that right?

Sounds like an oxymoron statement doesn't it? Just like buying perfectly good new fabric, cutting it apart and sewing it together again into quilts. icon_wink.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:30pm
post #33 of 42

My Bridal Shower Cake is torted and it's a 14" at the bottom. It was a disaster, though, with that stupid Wilton Large LEVELER! thumbsdown.gif

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:33pm
post #34 of 42

So do you ask customers what kind of filling if they order just a plain white cake? Or give suggestions? Or is there one filling that is just your standby? None of mine have EVER asked for a filling and I just assume they expect BC between the layers. (Just party cakes, no weddings).

Oh, and do you charge more if you fill w/something besides bc?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:38am
post #35 of 42

At the wedding samplings, we discuss fillings. If I get an order for a "regular" cake, they get the BC filling unless they specifically ask for it. I don't charge extra for special fillings. It's my policy to "keep it simple" for the bride. I don't charge extra for design in any shape or form.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by da757deevalibra

Has anyone ever torted a cake larger than 8" such as lets say 16"? Would it have to be torted then partially frozen to lift one layer?

Yes! I put filling in all my cakes with the exception of the Barbie Wondermold skirt. I even torted and filled my sculpted puppy cakes (but ignored my dh's suggestion to make the filling red. Ew!)

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 11:48am
post #37 of 42

Just an FYI, while we're dabbling in the subject of filling cakes.

You can fill the Wondermold, too. You need a star tip, around 16 or larger. Drop it directly into the bag, punch it into the skirt and squeeze. The trick here is to not overfill, or you will crack the cake.

For those who are a little more adventurous, you can use what I do, the bismarck tip. Technically, it is a donut filler tip. It has a long, narrow tube that gets to the center.

With this tube, I squeeze and pull the tube out at the same time, so I get streaks of filling throughout the cake.

You must make absolutely sure that the cake is cooled inside before filling this way.

I do not know if Wilton still sells the bismarck tip, but Ateco definitely does.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

giggleloveswate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggleloveswate Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 9:46pm
post #38 of 42

A

Original message sent by HollyPJ

I try to avoid making my fillings ultra sweet. That's why I don't fill with buttercream usually.

That pudding sounds like too much!

I make a lemon cream cheese filling that compliments many cake flavors well--it's sweet, but the tartness of the lemon keeps it from being sickening.

I checked out Sylvia Weinstock's book, Sweet Celebrations, a few times. She has diagrams in it of her torted and filled cakes. There's as much filling as cake! That's overkill, IMO. I wonder how the cakes taste...

I know this post is old, BUT I would love to try the lemon cream cheese filling you are speaking of. I am making a miniature trial version of a wedding cake and would like to torte it. I love lemon (our family's favorite homemade cake is a lemon jello cake! :D)!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 4:39am
post #39 of 42

Hi, read this thread about carmijok c/c icing recipe. It is delicious. All you would have to do is add pure lemon extract to it. i make it and add pure lime ext. to it and it is delicious. You could add lemon curd also(i have done that also and delicious. I don,t know what the person that posted the comment uses, but you could p/m her and ask . she might say the same as i have. I have made c/c icing for many years, but starting using carmijok. It is more stable than what i have always used. There are pure lemon oils on the market also. I get my puire extracts from olive nation. Leaned about it on cake central. hth

http://cakecentral.com/t/746115/cream-cheese-icing

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 11:09am
post #40 of 42

I think torting just adds a wow factor when they cut into the cake..recently got this feedback "Everyone loved it. I was expecting 2 layers...the 4 layers were a nice surprise...so pretty!!!"

As for fillings most of the flavor combos on my site have some kind of filling other than BC. And I almost never use ABC

cherrellexo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrellexo Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 6:00pm
post #41 of 42

ASo glad o read this. Definitely going to try it with my next cake :)

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 6:02pm
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrellexo 

So glad o read this. Definitely going to try it with my next cake icon_smile.gif

just make sure you use a stiff serrated cake to cut into a firm cold cake when you try...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%