Another Airbrush Question.........

Decorating By lastingmoments Updated 21 Nov 2005 , 6:36am by Kellie333

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 11 Nov 2005 , 8:12am
post #1 of 8

Hello
I was at Michaels and a very kind lady gave me a coupon so a bought an airbrush.......I already stole a compressor from my husband ( he used to airbrush in his day........ and read the back of my LORANNS colorings and they say they they can be used for airbrushing.....Can you use wilton gels thinned down of course. Does it have to be a certain paint. And how do you clean them ......

TIA
icon_lol.gif Nancy

7 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 11 Nov 2005 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 8

I have never tried the gel paste with water...I use the bottles of color that are made for an airbrush. To clean the machine...fill the little cup with the cleaning solution that they sell just for airbrush machines and pull the trigger to spray it thru...repeat until it comes thru clear.

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 11 Nov 2005 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 8

I have only used products specifically designed for an anirbrush. I've always had consistently great results, and don't worry about possible problems with the equipment.

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 11 Nov 2005 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 8

just a little side note not related to question...are you sure the compressor is the right PSI? I would hate for you to blow the icing of your cake....

icon_smile.gif

lastingmoments Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 6:04am
post #5 of 8

IM not sure ......what PSI should it be what should I be looking for ........ Either way we are a crafty family so if it is not used here then I can use it in other projects.....but really would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have it for cakes.....

any info is great

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 6:19am
post #6 of 8

My first airbrush was an AZTEC I got at Hobby Lobby, and I ran it using a testor mini-blue compressor, with no problems. I would not recommend thinning paste colors to use in your airbrush. Too thin and you don't get good results, too thick and you will clog your airbrush. Buy airbush colors especially made for cake decorating. As for the PSI, I think my mini-blue compressor ran at 28 to 30 PSI. But if you're not sure, ice the back of a cookie sheet and give it a go! If the PSI is too high and messes up the icing, you may be able to find a pressure regulator to adjust it to your needs. Should be cheaper than having to buy another compressor. HTH!

lastingmoments Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 7:40am
post #7 of 8

thanks gmcakes.........

i will have to find the airbrush colors and try it out it great to know that it wont be a total loss if its too stong ....i like that idea.

Kellie333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie333 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 6:36am
post #8 of 8

Hi I worked as a cake decorator for many years and used an airbrush often. I have used the regular liquid colors for coloring frosting in the airbrush and they do work but they do not come out as smooth as the airbrush colors. If you are in a bind these do work but not as good as the airbrush colors made specifically for the airbrush. Make sure you rinse your airbrush throughly with HOT water if you do use these frosting liquid colorings so your brush does not get clogged. Hope this helps!!

HAVE FUN DECORATING!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%