Buttercream on fondant

Decorating By southerncake Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 6:51pm by kansaslaura

southerncake Posted 3 Aug 2004 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 7

I just recently started using fondant and just last night made my first batch of marshmallow fondant.

Can you put buttercream roses/flowers on a fondant-covered cake?

I need to take a cake to church tomorrow night (nothing fancy) and I wanted to cover it in fondant, but I don't have time to make royal icing roses, but do have some buttercream in the fridge.

Thanks in advance!

Amy icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Zabrip Posted 3 Aug 2004 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 7

I wouldnt do that, the buttercream on top of the fondant will break down the fondant and it just wouldnt look right. You can use any left over fondant to mold some flowers, or purchase some pre made royal icing flowers. If the design allows you can also use silk flowers.

Kimbean Posted 23 Aug 2004 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 7

I'm new to this, and way still in the learning process. (Taking classes right now, I'm currently taking Cake Art II and other assorted classes on the weekends)

Wilton.com, when you search for "fondant", the first thing that comes up is about Rolled Fondant. It says you can decorate your rolled fondant based cake with either royal or buttercream icing.

I don't know who is right - but I would like to know. I don't think I would ever use fondant if I have to decorate in Royal Icing - it tastes so gross. I mean it isn't bad for certain flowers that are on the cake, but to have to do shells, borders, ropes and everything on the entire cake in royal, YUCK!! At least if it is just flowers, people can just take them off.

(Edit) I have seen many people on TV put buttercream UNDER the fondant. I saw a special on Food Network about weddings at Disney World. They covered the cake in fondant and then before serving the cake, took it in the kitchen and ripped the fondant right off, leaving buttercream underneath to actually eat (the buttercream was all stipply, but they served such thin slices and I am sure it tasted so good no one cared). I thought this was a great idea. Anyway, to get to my point - if buttercream breaks down fondant, then wouldn't it break it down from underneath as well?)

Kimberly

southerncake Posted 23 Aug 2004 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 7

Hi Kimberly,

I had never thought about it that way, but I think you are right! I had also asked this question on another board and several of the ladies said that they always use buttercream on their fondant.

Good luck,

Amy

LvBunny Posted 24 Aug 2004 , 12:42am
post #5 of 7

when i took course 3 we had to do a two tier cake and one of the tiers had to be covered in fondant. and we decorated it with buttercream it did just fine.

kika Posted 25 Aug 2004 , 3:46am
post #6 of 7

I have used buttercream on all my fondant covered cakes and they do just fine, the buttercream doesnt taste bad at all its just really sweet, in fact, when i made a fondant covered cake for my boyfriends birthday, his mom didnt even take the fondant off she liked it with everything.The reason why they took it off on the food networks wedding thing( i watched it too icon_smile.gif kimberly
P.S. my names kimberly as well its cool to know someone else who has this name. i have only met one other person with my name icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 7

I went searching for this very answer. What a great site.

I did my first batch of MMF today and put it on an 8" layer cake. I'm a little spooked by how easy it was. I rolled it out, lifted it, and it smoothed beautifully. I played with it a while and did a couple of different borders and reworked them. It's an amazing medium and I should have tried it sooner! I've decorated for over 25 yrs and it's like it's all new again!

I did not work the full 2 pounds of powdered sugar into it, and with the high humidity we have today it is a little sticky to the touch now that it's been on the cake a couple of hours.

Wondering now if I should have persisted longer mixing it, but it seemed very smooth and wasn't taking the sugar in easily. Any input from experts out there is welcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%