Question Regarding Pricing Matrix

Decorating By llj68 Updated 18 Mar 2005 , 7:46pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 6

For those of you who use them on the computer--is it something that you just punch in all your ingredients for a particular cake and then get a price? Or, is it something that you have already put in all your ingredients for each cake you make and just look at the total?

I have recently made myself a matrix on paper. It involved perusing all my recipes I use for cakes, icings, etc. Then a trip to the store to get the cost of everything. I have broken it down (on paper) for each ingredient in the measurements used. And then added a bit for wear & tear, etc. Is this what the computerized matrix has on it?

Also--when you do a matrix--do you add in a separate column for your time? I didn't and I'm thinking I'm selling myself short.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I swear--pricing my items is the hardest part of this "business". Once I get them down--I would like to keep them pretty much the same for the duration! Thanks so much!

Lisa icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

For those of you who use them on the computer--is it something that you just punch in all your ingredients for a particular cake and then get a price? Or, is it something that you have already put in all your ingredients for each cake you make and just look at the total?

Lisa there is a few different ones out there floating around its what works best for you ..

YOU all know that I and Dawn are good friend she has a great one but I am not able to make hers work for me.. So I took the concept and did my own.. I am not saying mine is right at all dont get me wrong there..

What I did was I took excel and I added everything in to this spread sheet and its there all of the time its got all of my ingredients on there and when I want to do one I pull it up and then I do a file save as and then I rename that one I just added to get my totals..

But yes its got about 5 colums and each one is different.... and once you have it set up then your ONLY going to add in one area on it your numbers and the rest is going to comput out for you and tell you what the price should be...

AS for time I have not been able to figure out how to charge for my time if I had to add that in they would not be able to ever afford a cake.. So I do a 1.5% and a 2% mark up on my cakes but my cakes are mainly family..

I hope that helped with your question if not will try again .. LOL ..

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 6

If you want mine (and so far no complaints from anyone that has used it- Vickie remind me to look at your copy when I come to your house) you need to send me an email telling me whether you use excel or works. I will only send it to you if you send me an email- I will not respond to email addresses left on this post (to much work).

On mine you enter your ingredients and the cost per unit and the matrix does the rest for you. It even gives you two different totals to charge- one if you charge by the hour and one if you multiply the cost. It's very user friendly and I don't think a single thing has been left out.

[email protected]

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both so much for your responses! CYE, Dawn!

Lisa

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

CYE, Dawn!

OK- I give- CYE??

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 6

I'm slow-- it just occurred to me... got it!! ROFLMAO-- at myself!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%