Transporting A Stacked Cake

Decorating By kimh Updated 8 Nov 2005 , 10:59pm by mamafrogcakes

kimh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimh Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 13

When you guys transport a stacked cake do you transport each tier seperately or do you transport it as a whole unit?

12 replies
mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 13

I transport mine as a whole unit already assembled. I always end up having to make minor repairs to the cake once I stack them. Plus if you use good support and enough dowels, the cake shouldn't move in transport. Some may disagree but I have just always found it easier!

toddsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toddsgirl Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 13

I always transport seperately and then stack and do borders on location. I have transported two tiers before but I don't think I would ever do more than that. Just don't want to take a chance on ruining someone's cake on their special day.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 13

I transport mine separately and stack them once on site. Too many bumpy roads and goofy drivers around here!! icon_biggrin.gif

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 13

Always separately for me too! Borders are much easier to do on-site than full out repairs for a cake that tipped or slid!

I have a foam mattress pad (you know the bumpy egg crate ones?) which I lay out in my trunk. Cakes stay put! The sticky non-slip pad you can get for under rugs is good too (but buy it at the fabric store, just called vinyl canvas)

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 13

Absolutely transport seperately. I have never had a mishap this way. The other way, OMG I would be so nervous I don't think I would hold up getting to the venue much less the cake.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 13

I transport fully assembled... Always have!! My cakes are always chilled and I use the stress free support system. When you chill the cake it solidifies it and it doesn't budge. I don't want the stress of stacking the cake and having to worry about messing it up at the reception site.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 13

I use the stress free support too. I deliver stacked if it's got a diffincult design, fondant swag, or something like that that would take too long to do at the site.

TamiAZ, have you ever thought of putting some of the non skid stuff around the top of the rings before adding the next layer? Something I've been thinking about, but haven't tried.

SweetCaramel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCaramel Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 13

While we are talking about stacked cake, can someone clear my confusion? I have been trying to figure out how do you unstack without the mess when people are ready to eat. I mean how do you dig in there to get a tier cake off without messing up all the icing???

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 13

If you must transport it tiered what would you do? I only have to go about 4 miles. The person is having the reception at their house and I need to have a 3 tier wedding cake and a 2 tier grooms cake. I dont know how much time I will have to assemble it there so I was going to transport them, but have my husband drive so that I could sit with the cakes in the back. She wanted to the cakes there at around 12:00 noon.

In the past I have transported a 2 tiered cake with a dowel support with no problem, but that was only a few bloack away from where I live.

Help!!! I just dont want to have to assemble the whole cake at her house. She wants a simple square cake with buttercream, with a white ribbon trim around the bottom and either a single or double bead border.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 13

Place those cakes in the fridge, you'll be fine. I never knew that people delivered a cake in pieces then put together on site, that would take me forever. I stack at home, place cake in fridge (if there is room) then transport it nice and cold. I set my cakes on the floor in the backseat of my truck and off we go. Yes sometimes i'm biting my nails, but (knock on wood) doing it this way i've had nothing that couldn't be fixed once at the reception. I've delivered as much as 40 miles away doing it this way.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 13

what is the stress-free support system?

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 10:59pm
post #13 of 13

I agree with the others about the fridge. It does seem to solidify everything. And I usually deliver my cakes in enough time where the chill gets off the cake before it's served. I did a large 3 tiered square cake for an anniversary party and delivered it fully assembled. I can't imagine having to finish a cake on-site unless I had to! There are some things I don't want people to see or hear! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%