Noncrusting Bc Under Fondant? Plus, Filling Question

Decorating By JacsMommy Updated 11 Feb 2007 , 2:59am by djjarrett88

JacsMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JacsMommy Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 2:48am
post #1 of 2

The first time I covered a cake in fondant, my BC wasn't crusting up like it usually does. Fortunately, the fondant stuck to the cake beautifully. The second time, I noticed that my fondant was having a harder time sticking to my BC because it was crusted pretty well. So my question is -- do you all use a noncrusting BC when you work with fondant and if so, what recipe do you use.

Also, I use a BC that doesn;t need to be refrigerated. If I add nutella or raspberry jam to my BC to use it as a filling, do I need to refrigerate the filled cake? In other words, does adding the nutella or jam, which both usually need to be refrigerated after opening their jars, mean that I have to refrigerate the cake?

Thanks!!!!!!

1 reply
djjarrett88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djjarrett88 Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 2:59am
post #2 of 2

I frost them right before applying the fondant. Then there is no crusting. As far as fillings, I dont mix them with the butter cream. I make a buttercream "well" around the cake and then put the filling in. Customers seem to like the fact that some seeps into the cake. I always refridgerate my cakes after they are done, regardless. That is my opinion, which probably isnt the right one, but it works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%