Quick Question Please! Re Truffles.... Need To Know Now!!thx

Sugar Work By Jopalis Updated 10 Feb 2007 , 8:12am by Jopalis

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 30

I need to refrigerate my melted truffle mixture for an hour. Should I cover it with saran or will I get condensation that ruins it? Please hurry... I need to do it NOW!

29 replies
Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 30

according to Alton Brown do NOT cover!!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 30

I've never had a condensation problem BEFORE I dipped them. If it's just the cake mixture, you should have no problem covering it.

maverick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maverick Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 30

It does not need to be covered. I have done it both ways and have not had a problem.

shelbur10 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 30

I'm sorry, I misunderstood...if it is the chocolate, I would not cover

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 30

Agree with lalana, do NOT cover, condensation will drip down in the dish and cause the choclate to sieze. Alton Brown is my hero icon_smile.gif

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 30

Yep.... just chocolate, cream and Chambord. Right now it is cooling on countertop but I need to refrigerate. I always worry about food odors getting in stuff. I thought, however, if I cover it warm, it will get condensation and maybe ruin it. I am just going to roll them into balls and put in my chocolate cupcakes... You bake partially...add truffle and a bit more batter and bake more. Going to frost with a raspberry flavored icing and shaved chocolate...... Thanks. Nothing like knowing what you are doing BEFORE doing it..... You guys are fab!

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 30

I always cover with saran wrap. I place it right on top of the mixture. It prevents it from getting a "film" on it.

shelbur10 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 30

Wow, that sounds delicious!!

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 30

Thanks... another cc'er sent me it. I can post if someone wants. Got some valentine cupcake liners and gonna put a ball of foil between pan and liner to create heart shape. Easy stuff. Going to make 7 minute frosting with a bit of raspberry ext. and maybe make it pink. Shaved chocolate and since I am too lazy to make RI flowers... a red gummy heart. I don't think I can pipe 7 minute icing right? too sticky...

Lalana Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 30

oh that sounds SO good!! Hope they turn out as wonderful as they sound! You don't have to know before you do because you have CC to the rescue....

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:29pm
post #12 of 30

"AMEN to that!" Let me know if anyone wants it posted.... Author uses white cake... I am using chocolate...Darn Good Chocolate Cake by Cake Doctor minus the chocolate chips....

Lalana Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 30

if it's the boiled 7 min icing then that's what we actually used in the Wilton Master class to pipe with. They said it's better since it's cheap and doesn't break down as easily as RI. It seemed to hold up nicely

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 30

Yeah you whip it over the heat.... Kind of merenguey...Tastes like marshmallow. It's so yummy! I thought it would be too sticky to pipe... I wonder if master class uses a different recipe? I got off food network...Paula Deen

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:40pm
post #15 of 30

Lalana, this is the 7 minute recipe I was going to use:

1.5 C sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar or 1 TBS white corn syrup (which?)
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 C water
2 egg whites
1.5 tsp extract
Place sugar, crm of tar or corn syrup, salt, water and egg whites in top of double boiler. Beat w/handheld mixer for 1 minute. Place over simmering water being sure not to let water touch bottom of pan (or grainy) and beat on high for 7 minutes... beat in extract.

Is this same?

shelbur10 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:44pm
post #16 of 30

Yes, if you don't mind posting, I would love to try them! I absolutely love the Darn Good Chocolate cake (I always leave out the chips, too!) and you just can't go wrong with it!

Lalana Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:45pm
post #17 of 30

They used Meringue powder instead of actual egg whites, but it looks pretty similar from what I remember. This stuff was definitley sticky but when you whip it up really well it pipes great. I think you should be fine using it. It dries to hold it's shape but certainly not hard like RI so better for eating in my opinion.

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:47pm
post #18 of 30

wonder if I could just stripe the red color in the bag instead of coloring all pink.... OK I'll post it.... next....

Lalana Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:50pm
post #19 of 30

I just checked the Wilton website and found this (we used stove top method)

Fluffy Boiled Icing
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons meringue powder
1/2 cup cold water
Syrup:
Ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water
Beat meringue powder and cold water until stiff, about 4 minutes. In a large microwave-safe measuring cup, stir sugar, corn syrup and water. In a microwave oven, bring syrup mixture to boil (approximately 5 minutes). Remove when boiling stops. Slowly add syrup to meringue mixture while beating on low. Beat on HIGH for 4 minutes until stiff and glossy.

YIELD: 8 cups

For top of range: Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in 2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil; cool slightly and follow directions above.

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:50pm
post #20 of 30

This is it the way I got it from CC buddy. I am using the cake doc choc. cake and the 7 minute w/raspberry extract but less since I hear McCormick's is real strong. Shaved choc. on top, a red gummy heart and if I get up the gumptions maybe a little RI violet for contrast.

CUPCAKES WITH RASBERRY TRUFFLE CENTER

I can't help with the heart shape, but I have a nice cupcake recipe with raspberry truffle center. I got this from "The Artful Cupcake"

1) make truffles by combining 3 Tbls heavy cream, 1 Tbls raspberry liquor (Chambord), and 4 oz semisweet chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water. Stir until mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and freeze 15 minutes, or refrigerate 1 hour, or until mixture has solidified to a fudgy consistency. Using a meon baller, make truffles 1/2 inch in diameter. Put truffles in the freezer while you make the cupcakes.
2) Make white cake batter (I use th eheavenly white cake recipe from this site). Fill cupcake pans 1/2 full. Bake 10 minutes at 350 and remove from oven. Place a truffle in the center of each cupcake, and push down slightly, until tops are flsh with the top of pan. top with 1 teaspoon of batter, and return to oven for 10 minutes more.
3) When toothpick inserted into cake part comes out clean, remove from oven and cool upaide downon a cooling rack.

Frost with raspberry buttercream-YUM!

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:51pm
post #21 of 30

oh as I said earlier I am doing the foil ball for the heart shape.

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:52pm
post #22 of 30

Thanks lalana.... I think I will try yours....

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:53pm
post #23 of 30

I would love to get the recipe....would you mind PM'ing me icon_smile.gif THANKS!

shelbur10 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:54pm
post #24 of 30

Thank you for sharing!! Can't wait to try it!

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:55pm
post #25 of 30

I doubled the truffle recipe. Used Ghiradelli semi sweet chips. I figured extra truffles wouldn't go to waste... maybe "waist" though....LOL icon_lol.gif

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:57pm
post #26 of 30

If you try it...post how you liked it...OK?

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:11pm
post #27 of 30

Could you post the recipe on CC?

shelbur10 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:15pm
post #28 of 30

I sure will, Jopalis, but it will be a while before I will get a chance to try them. My dad's 60th birthday party is this weekend and guess who's making the cake! icon_biggrin.gif I made some raspberry mousse filled choc. cupcakes for a friend not long ago and she went nuts for them...I can't wait to fix these for her!

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:19pm
post #29 of 30

recipe for truffle cupcakes is posted in this thread. lalana's Wilton 7 minute frosting is posted here too.

Jopalis Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 8:12am
post #30 of 30

The cupcakes came out great and yummy. Use your favorite kind of chocolate for the truffles. I used Ghiradelli semi sweet. The Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe was great (sans the chips). They make a nice cupcake with a rich gooey center. I tried the Wilton 7 minute type icing that lalana posted with a bit of McCormick raspberry extract and used the microwave method. That came out great too. I didn't do anything special with the decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%