I Did The Experiment And

Decorating By butternut Updated 14 Feb 2007 , 7:27am by cake-angel

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 31

popcorn salt REALLY does cut down on the sweetness of buttercream icing. I have to admit, I've used salt in my icings but I just wasn't really convinced that it made that much if any difference at all in cutting down the sweetness. Well, today, I made two batches of icing. Both had the exact ingredients with the exception of one of them in which I added 1 tsp of popcorn salt dissolved in a small amt of hot water. When I tasted the two icings, I knew that one was a lot less sweet than the other. But, to make sure, I had my hubby take a taste from each batch. I then asked him if they both tasted the same and he said NO. He pointed to the batch with no salt and said that it was alot sweeter than the other icon_surprised.gif Now, if he noticed a difference, I know that I was correct. Popcorn salt really does help cut down the sweetness.......

30 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 31

You've convinced me to give it a try!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 31

Could you taste the salt in it?

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Could you taste the salt in it?

I don't taste salt at all. It just seems to have taken away some of the sweetness.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 31

Hummm.. this is VERY interesting. icon_rolleyes.gif

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 31

WOW! I've got to try this! Thanks for sharing! icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 31

Just one more thing to add to my shopping list. icon_wink.gif

Thanks for sharing that piece of info. with us.

aliekitn99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliekitn99 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 31

Just know that if you are going to be using purple/lavender colorings....the salt will affect the color of your icings.

Thanks for the tip for the popcorn salt.

Have a great day!
aliekitn99

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 31

I use unflavored popcorn salt in every batch of my icing and I have never had a problem with purple/lavendar/violet colors. What is it supposed to do?

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 31

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try this.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 31

I give this tip to all my students ...about the popcorn salt,

since it's a finer salt you won't have the 'crunchies" that regular salt gives you

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 31

I can never find popcorn salt at the grocery store. Should it be with the rest of the spices?

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 31

try looking where the popping corn is.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:16pm
post #14 of 31

I have trouble finding it sometimes, too. You can put regular table salt in the food processor if you don't have popcorn salt.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 7:17pm
post #15 of 31

Thanks RisqueBusiness!

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:05pm
post #16 of 31

I have used table salt just the way it is and not ground it finer and you could not tell that the salt was in it.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:08pm
post #17 of 31

Thanks for the info!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 9:52pm
post #18 of 31

shelbur10, thanks for answering my question before I even got to post it! icon_smile.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 1:35am
post #19 of 31

Fantastic tip! Thanks for being our 'lab tech' !
icon_biggrin.gif

aliekitn99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliekitn99 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 8:10am
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

I use unflavored popcorn salt in every batch of my icing and I have never had a problem with purple/lavendar/violet colors. What is it supposed to do?

My wilton instructor mentioned that salt in BC will cause blue and purple icings to have white specks. No matter how much you mix, the specks won't go away. That may not be an issue with the popcorn salt as the grains are so small....

Happy decorating! icon_smile.gif
alikitn

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:45pm
post #21 of 31

I performed the experiment as well. I could not tell a difference...but my husband could. He said the salted was not as sweet...maybe my taste buds have been numbed by all the frosting I have consumed! icon_lol.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:51pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendoger

I performed the experiment as well. I could not tell a difference...but my husband could. He said the salted was not as sweet...maybe my taste buds have been numbed by all the frosting I have consumed! icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif thats funny. That would be just my luck. icon_rolleyes.gif

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:54pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliekitn99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

My wilton instructor mentioned that salt in BC will cause blue and purple icings to have white specks. No matter how much you mix, the specks won't go away. That may not be an issue with the popcorn salt as the grains are so small....

Happy decorating! icon_smile.gif
alikitn

I knew salt cut down on the sweetness which is why I put salt in my bc. I did not know it would cause a problem with color. I have experienced once where I got speckled purple icing, but it was a really dark purple and didn't show up until the color had been mixed for about 24 hours. It has never happened again, and I get a lot of call for blue. Hmmm......Good to know.

adrisss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrisss Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:59pm
post #24 of 31

Also what I do with the cream cheese buttercream I put one bar of unsalted butter and one bar of salted butter, and that also helps to make the buttercream less sweet and always turns out great!!!

Have to try the popcorn salt!!!

icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:01pm
post #25 of 31

I only use popcorn salt too! It works great and really does help with the sweetness.

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:33pm
post #26 of 31

Thanks for sharing! I'll give it a try.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 5:59pm
post #27 of 31

I also have always used popcorn salt in my buttercream. I find it right next to the regular salt in the seasonings/bakers aisle of the grocery store, but it could be with the bags of popping corn! I use enough so I can purposely taste the salt.....not overwhelmingly taste the salt, but just a hint! It's delicious!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 6:09pm
post #28 of 31

I use popcorn salt in my BC, MMF and caramel.

camcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camcat Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:17pm
post #29 of 31

For those of you who use popcorn salt, do you use salted or unsalted butter? I usually use unsalted butter, but I only had salted today. I added my usual popcorn salt and I can taste it today.

We always have popcorn salt on hand because DH uses it on popcorn. Recently, I couldn't find my normal brand (Reese) and bought a different brand (Morton's, I think). DH commented on the odd taste. I noticed that there was an additional ingredient besides salt. I don't recall what it was, but I'm guessing something to keep the salt from caking. Wonder if that added ingredient is what causes the icing to spot?

ETA--I just googled Morton's popcorn salt....the extra ingredient is Tricalcium Phosphate, used to give a free-flowing quality.

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:26pm
post #30 of 31

I would like to know about the salted vs unsalted butter also. I will have to try the popcorn salt but I usually use the unsalted butter. If I used the salted would that make a difference?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%