How Long To Keep Royal Icing

Decorating By SmilieFace Updated 31 Oct 2005 , 11:18pm by SmilieFace

SmilieFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SmilieFace Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 6

Hello. I made a batch of royal icing yesterday, and only used half of it. How long can I keep it for?

5 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 6

I keep mine in an airtight container in a dark place in my kitchen and I have kept it for a couple of months with no problem.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 6

When I took classes - I was told it would keep unfridged in an airtight container, out of the heat and sun for 2 weeks. There was a post on this subject a while back and some people said that they actually froze it for months and then let it thaw and re-whipped it and it worked fine. Well, I tried it and it worked! That's what I do now if I have left-over that I'm not going to use in a short period of time. The other option is to do some quick "drop-flowers" - let them dry and put them in an air-tight container so you'll have some ready made flowers for those "sudden cakes needed". thumbs_up.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 6

It will keep for a long, long time! If you have time, go ahead and make up some extra roses, daisies or whatever..never know when you will need them!!

betycrker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
betycrker Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 6

I've been told that you can freeze it. Thaw in fridge then rebeat.

SmilieFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SmilieFace Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll freeze the icing and use it later. I made a lot of little decroations already, and am tired...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%