Nothing Can Beat This Disaster!!!

Decorating By Viviane Updated 21 Nov 2005 , 4:38am by ellepal

Viviane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viviane Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:14am
post #1 of 26

I'm sooo embarrassed to share this, but if it helps anyone else ever feel better...this would be the story!
I was excited about the upcoming baby shower cake my husband's coworker ordered, and baked it on Thursday night. I left it out to cool towards the back of the stove, and, although I forgot to cover it, all was well with the universe. The next day when I went to decorate it, I saw that part of it looked scraped off. I assumed that the housekeeper had covered it, and when she lifted the towel, part of it came off. So, I figured, no big deal, and decorated it anyway. It was sooo pretty...blue marbelized fondant background, blue stars, yellow moon, a cute onesie...Yeah, it was nice. I looked around the kitchen, and noticed that there were little brown "seeds" on the counter, and in my pantry. I called my husband over, who was unsure what they could be. It was too late to call the housekeeper to see if she had covered the cake as I assumed, or???
The next morning, I was up and ready to deliver the cake, but I wanted to be absolutely sure about my thoughts. I went online and looked up "mouse droppings" and guess what was described! I FREAKED OUT as never before!!! Although, I still wasn't actually, totally sure. I decided, in order to maintain my credibility, and the health of all concerned, I could not take a chance and sell the cake. I decided to purchase a replacement cake, free of charge. My dear husband laid out sticky traps, and we left to the shower. I took along the bad cake, so my customer could at least see how beautiful it looked. Although she was disappointed, she and her daughter loved the look of the cake, and showed it off to their guests anyway, as everyone sat around munching on the cupcakes I brought.
They're chalking it up as a funny story for their scrapbooks - I'm chalking it up to a Lucy-style disaster, which will never happen again.

25 replies
Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:22am
post #2 of 26

aww, I'm so sorry that you did all that hard work for nothing! You did the right thing buying some cupcakes!

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 5:50am
post #3 of 26

So sorry about your mouse troubles.. I know no one is very fond of mice..but I do have one small suggestion.. The sticky traps are really very inhumane.. the poor mice stick to them and literally tear their skin off trying to get out.. The other traps that are spring loaded are a little more humane as they kill them very fast.. Now I am not a mouse fan either.. but I hate to think of any animal suffering. I think the faster the better..Just a thought..
Liz

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 26

Sorry to hear that, but at least you noticed the nibbling and didn't serve it to anyone. I put my cakes in the fridge. I don't sell cakes, but do not believe in letting the cake sit out for a day or two where any critter (pets, spiders, ants, flies, a mouse!) could get to it.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 26

Yeah, that's pretty gross. You better get rid of them the fastest way you can because those things will bring friends with them!! I was in a situation once where I lived in a house with two other girls and the place was infested with mice/rats whatever you want to call them. My husband always corrects me on that and says, "They are mice. Rats are big!" WHATEVER! I don't care what they are. They can get into anything. It didn't help that one of the girls loved to be "Miss Molly Homemaker" and liked to cook for her boyfriend every night. She just didn't like to clean. It got so bad that me and the other girl would not eat in the house and we changed our sheets every night because we would come home from work and find droppings in our beds! We ducked out of the lease 2 months into it when the rodents started eating through the ceiling from the attic. It was absolutely the nastiest place I've ever had to stay.

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 26

I'm so sorry about the cake. At least you recognized what the mouse droppings were before you served the cake and were able to get your customer a replacement.

Is that picture in your gallery the cake you made for the party? I would still love to see a pic if you took one. I have an order for a baby shower cake with a celestial theme and would love to see what you have done.

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 26

You had to post that just last night my cat was playing with something and thought it was just one of her toys. Well all of the sudden we heard some strange noise and when we looked closer it was a mouse, it was still alive and she was just playing with it. Grab a broom and swept it outside. Dont know if it was in the house or she brought it in just the idea of it being here was enough for me.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 26

I am sorry to hear about that. I also keep my cakes in the icebox until I am ready to deliver...that way I know it is safe! icon_smile.gif
traci

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 26

Wow! Bummer! That's too bad, I feel for you.

havenleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havenleigh Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 7:45am
post #10 of 26

I am sorry to hear about your cake. It is truly a bummer when one works so hard at something only to have something or someone ruin it in an instant. If you have a picture I would love to see it.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 12:44pm
post #11 of 26

...I feel bad for you...all that hard work! Sounds as though it worked out in the end!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 12:58pm
post #12 of 26

Don't be embarrassed. I don't like mice but if we went building so many house and buildings maybe we wouldn't have this problem. We have been moving into their world for years now its time for them to come to ours.
I have to say that I laughed when I read this because I had the same thing happen to me!!!!! Though it was with cookies once I thought my son had thrown a cookie to the back corner of the stove with a small bite out of it so I threw it away and then a few hours later the same thing happened. OH MY GOD MICE we had an exterminator come to the house put down traps and they were gone for a while. I live in the norther east andit is getting cold here so they are coming in. Another time I noticed there was holes in my butter....... they kinda made it look like Swiss cheese. I have learned my lesson as well. keep things covered. No matter what we do to try to keep them out......they still come back when it gets cold.
PS they really like chocolate and peanut butter! SNAP

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 26

Did you find Mickey and Mighty yet?

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 10:43pm
post #14 of 26

I hate mice. I know they can't hurt me, but I am terrified of them!!! We caught one in a trap last week. Had to call hubby to come home from work to get rid of the trap. Believe it or not I'm even afraid of dead ones!!!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 10:50pm
post #15 of 26

LOL! I thought it was just me! I HATE mice ... living or dead! I once jumped over my office counter (4 feet high) to get away from a mouse...that was 4 years ago but everyone still remembers! I didn't think I could jump that high!

Bekki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekki Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 4:12am
post #16 of 26

Oh I am so sorry about your cake. Darn little critters. Even the nicest, cleanest houses can have mice. Sneaky little things. I'm not freaked by them, but I have two stories that will gross people out who hate mice
BE WARNED...

1) When I was in middle school, we had two strictly indoor cats, and we placed traps for mice in the cellar. Only found one once in a while, usually the cats brought it to us. Well one evening, sometime in the fall or early winter, I went into my parents room to watch TV and, walking around the end of their waterbed, stepped on something that went *Squish*. Thinking it was cat/dog vomit, I went back and turned on the light, peeked around the end of the bed, and realized I had stepped on a dead mouse. Barefoot. It's insides were now outside. YIKES. Needless to say, I was hopping on one foot to the bathroom to wash my foot.

2) Last November, when my younger sis bought her house, I went home to help her move. She had just closed the purchase and was giving me the "grand tour" and we were talking about how she was going to arrange stuff, and we went into the laundry room in the basement. She was showing me some of the awesome storage space, and when I turned around, I saw a mouse. Just sitting in the middle of the floor. Before I could warn her, she saw it and SCREAMED. What did I do? icon_lol.gif I went and picked it up! Yes it was alive, but it had been poisoned. It didn't even move when I touched it, picked it up, and then set it down, to which my sister screamed not to let it get away, but at the same time put it down omigod put it down. I left it sitting in the middle of the floor, went and picked up a broken flower pot, scooped it up, and took it outside. My mom, who was outside smoking, asked what all the noise was about, so I showed her, and you would have thought I threw it at her she bolted off the porch so fast!

Moral of the story: I'm bloody terrified of insects, especially bees and wasps. But I will pick up a live mouse barehanded with not a twinge. icon_rolleyes.gif

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 8:13pm
post #17 of 26

That last story had me roflmao. I could just picture you mom screaming. How about this one for you. Last year I was doing a load of laundry, no problem right. Well the load finished and I went to take it from the washer and put it in the dryer. Well scoop up the clothes and what falls on the dryer door, but a very clean and dead mouse. I started screaming my poor DH who was napping at the time fell out of bed and came running to see what was wrong. I was still screaming as I was scrubbing my hands after touching it. He had to pick it up and throw it away. I had to rewash the clothes. Rule of thumb never put clothes in the washer without first looking in it. Found out that the little critter got in the washer from the water line. I always check now.

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 9:07pm
post #18 of 26

I feel sorry for everyones bad experience with mice, but I have to say some of them sound so funny. I can just picture it all. I think I would die if I ever touched a mouse dead or alive. My son and daughter want one for a pet!!! No way!!!!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 11:20pm
post #19 of 26

LMAO!!!
Here's a good one for you...I don't mind mice...as indicated by my username...but when I was a little girl my parents had a bought an end of era Victorian cottage, so it had mice in it occasionally, and occasionally my mom's cat would find them and play with them until the died- scared to death takes on a whole new meaning...(sometime after my parents had divorced) well one morning my mom woke up and saw something on her small area rug in her bedroom, she thought nothing of it, thinking it was a sock or something, she came back, much more awake by then and started screaming her head..I come running out of my bedroom (which was across the hall) and asked what was wrong..."There's a DEAD mouse on my rug...Kristen...take it outside now!" So I got stuck with dead mouse duty...and so I rolled the little rug up, took it outside and shook the rug off of the back porch so that one of hte outside neighbor cats could have the tasty treat...of course my mom now knew why her cat had come to sleep with her in the middle of the night and had been loudly purring for the longest time, her cat had brought her a present...albeit one she did not appreciate.
(Of course this was the cat that would also chase, kill, and eat yellow-jackets...sniff sniff she was a good kitty, she died last year, she was almost 16)

saas74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saas74 Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 11:35pm
post #20 of 26

I will add another mouse story. I haven't had any in my house, but when I went to college in Philly our apartment was a mouse hotel. It would only happen a few times a year...early spring and early winter. By the end of our time at school, we thought that we were unfazed by the little critters. That was until the day that we were using the oven/broiling something and this stench filled the apartment. We thought it was the food until it kept happening. Yep, in our broiler drawer there was a tiny incinerated mouse family that *poof* dropped into ashes when we tried to pick them up. Nasty!

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 11:45pm
post #21 of 26

My underwear were hanging on the clothes line.
I put on my underwear. A hornet had built a nest in them.
I took them off.
Really quick.
Not a mouse story.
I just felt the need to share.

Jenc95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenc95 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 12:05am
post #22 of 26

OK.....I almost hate to tell this one.....but I think I have you all topped!! We live in an old farm house surroundedby a corn field. So we do get mice. :0( I still don't deal well with them. Either does my husband. One evening when we were having our kitchen remodeled I spotted one along the wall that was being torn out....I told my husband and he chased it and wacked it with a fly swatter, which didn't kill it but made it a little "loopy" he opened up the front door to the porch and flicked it outside.
Then went out to kill it. It started running at him and he was doing a little dance to keep it from running up his leg....then squishhhhhhh! He slid on it in his flip flops and tore it into 2 pcs!!!

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 12:12am
post #23 of 26

Oh, those pesky critters!! Why do they have to be so darn cute???!!!! We had a major problem with mice last year, and had to call an exterminator. It got to the point where they were hoarding dog food inside of our oven, on top of the burner, which nearly caused a house fire. We found the De-Con to be the most effective at getting all of them out. We also had the sticky strips, which we hated. (Crimson is right) They were terribly inhumane, and the mice just suffer there until they die. I cried when I found a mouse on it....he was so cute. There was nothing we could do for the poor thing...I had my hub take it outside and put it out of its misery so that he wouldn't suffer a long drawn out death....worst thing he said he ever had to do.
However, as cute as they are, they will dribble urine and excrement on everything, including dishes, silverware, food, cookware, etc. It is so unhealthy to have them in the house, so you have to find the most humane way to get them out.

I actually did a mouse cake (you can see it in my photos) of a mouse eating the cake, complete with chocolate sprinkles and everything!! I hope it doesn't bring back painful memories!!

Ellen

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 12:15am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

However, as cute as they are, they will dribble urine and excrement on everything,

Yeah...and they pee and poop all over everything too.

Bekki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekki Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 3:58am
post #25 of 26

Dale, although your underpants story HORRIFIES me, I think there's a dirty joke in there somewhere. I FREAK OUT when there are bees and wasps, and it kills me when people are like "if you don't bother them, they won't bother you." See that's the thing about a phobia it is an "intense, irrational, uncontrollable fear." Yes, I realize that they probably won't do anything to me, but at that moment I am unable to control my reactions. Even if it's a butterfly or a ladybug, unless I see it first, I still will jump if it unexpectedly flys into me. But if I see it, I can go up and let it crawl on me and it's not that big of a deal.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 4:38am
post #26 of 26

LOL...laughing at Dale (as usual).

Bekki, Love the Ralph Wiggum....did you know the happiest day of his life is when the doctor told him he didn't have worms anymore???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%