Gum Paste Question

Decorating By booberfrog Updated 1 Nov 2005 , 2:01am by klkhoneycutt

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:15am
post #1 of 9

I'm just wondering if you can use super glue to hold pieces together?(of course not pieces that will be eaten) Or do I need to use some kind of icing based glue?
TIA

8 replies
peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:18am
post #2 of 9

what kind of pieces do you mean?

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:23am
post #3 of 9

Oh sorry!
I am going to attempt to make a shoe out of gumpaste, I am going to make all the pieces individually and then when they harden put them together, I was just wondering if you can use glue to put them togrther or will it break down the gum paste?

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:31am
post #4 of 9

You can use egg white to hold them together...or add a bit of water to a small ball of gumpaste..mash it into a "glue" and brush on your pieces.

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:52am
post #5 of 9

Elmer's Glue works so I don't know why Super Glue wouldn't. Just make absolutely sure that everybody knows they're not edible.

kmcguire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmcguire Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 2:40am
post #6 of 9

Why use someting toxic such as superglue when you can use edible solutions. Someone may not listen or choose not to listen. You cant always be watching the cake.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 9

make sugar glue out of gum paste. Just add vanilla to soft gum paste until it's a liquid glue consistency. Pipe it into the areas you want stuck together and let it dry. Another option is royal icing - does the same. thumbs_up.gif

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 9

Sure you can use super glue..I use super glue gel..there is also an "accelerant" out there that hardens the glue instantly.

Of course this is ONLY for displaly pieces and nothing that comes in contact with anything that is going to be edible.!

If you are making gingerbread houses..you can make some boiled sugar...pour onto greased sheet pan and dip your edges and press them together.

I melt lifesavers for the windows and to glue my edges together.

klkhoneycutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klkhoneycutt Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 2:01am
post #9 of 9

you could try this it is called royal glue it is 1 teaspoon meringue powder to 1 teaspoon water and i think u can add a small amout of gum tex to make it harden but not sure..
Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%