Something I Found Out Regarding Mmf

Decorating By sgirvan Updated 31 Oct 2005 , 2:05pm by stephanie214

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 14

Last time I made a batch of MM fondant about 6 weeks ago, I had a good portion left over so I froze it to see what would happen and today I used it and it was totally fine like before I froze it!!!

I didn't know if anyone else had tried it so I thought I would let everone know, the same also goes with rolled B/C it froze well and I was able to use it fine icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
kendraanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraanne Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 14

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering how the MMF would hold up if I kept some in the freezer.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 12:03am
post #3 of 14

Cool...and thanks for sharing Shayla!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 12:06am
post #4 of 14

..good to know! thanks!

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 12:34am
post #5 of 14

thanks that is good to know. I put all my mmf in the foodsaver and seal it! I know that it isn't getting any air in it then!!!!

golfgma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgma Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 1:06am
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the tip sgirvan, I just asked that question on another thread today!! icon_biggrin.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for the tip. All this time I have been throwing it out after a week or so!! Well, at least I know now. Thanks again!!

Tanya

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 14

I left mine out for a WEEK. I made it and it was too soft, so I wasn't impressed, but I wrapped it up nice and sealed it in a zip lock bag and left it on one of my baking wire shelves and forgot about it.

so when I wanted to cover some cupcakes I just made I bought the colored fondants and wanted to "soften" the skin tones. I remembered I had the MMF and I mixed it...50/50..I tasted it ...sweet, not chemically. So I used it...it worked great!

I made more yesterday for my halloween cake.

Tips I've learned:

Don't let the marshmellows get cool, use them as hot as you can or it WILL make your mixer work harder. Mine got super hot!! and I was scared to lose it.

Knead it to death with hands COVERED with crisco. I had little "hard bits" on the bottom of my mixer, but since I had bought extra mashmellows...I could make more if needed. I scraped everything onto the fondant mat and kneaded it to death. IT WORKED.

If this thing colors as nicely as FONDANT...I will NEVER USE FONDANT AGAIN!!!

Thanks to who ever posted the tutorial...thanks CC for posting it...

and a BIG DIVA THANK YOU for the one that thought MMF up.

My next experiment....I wonder if I can just use Marshmellow fluff instead of melting the marshmellows. (maybe not since MMfluff is pretty soft, and the fluff won't try to get back it's shape like the 'mellows do when cool...)

Did you know you can use marshmellow fluff as colorflow???? you warm it up in the microwave or place the jar in warm water..tint, place in piping bags and pipe right onto the cakes!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 14

Diva..MMF can be made with the fluff...just cut back on the water!!

I didn't know that fluff could be used as color flow.....hmmm..that makes sense and seems a whole lot easier!! Thanks!!

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 14

Diva - Thanks for the tips!

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 14

will have to try the marshmallow fluff as color flow! cool!

I don't think I'm brave enough to try the mmf recipe, yet...

ThePastryDiva Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:53pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

Diva..MMF can be made with the fluff...just cut back on the water!!

I didn't know that fluff could be used as color flow.....hmmm..that makes sense and seems a whole lot easier!! Thanks!!

Cool, that will be my next thing...seems a whole lot easier, maybe just heat the fluff add the sifted sugar and work it from there! what COULD be easier, but the marshmellows are still more cost effective!

as for the marshmellow fluff "color flow"...it's really cool. the piece will stay nice and shiny...you can cut right through it, kids love it and people will never complain about the taste or break any teeth on it..lol

I will TRY to make some and post...but if anyone beats me to the punch...Please post picture!

HTH!

ThePastryDiva Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyap

will have to try the marshmallow fluff as color flow! cool!

I don't think I'm brave enough to try the mmf recipe, yet...

It was so easy and cheap.

1 pound of marshmellows, used the big ones that come in the one pound bag.

2 pound of sifted 10x sugar.

2 teaspoon of flavoring
2 tablespoons of water if I remember correctly.

just make sure your marshmellows are still pretty warm or your mixer WILL overwork itself.

follow the instructions on this site..make sure everything is pretty much LATHERED in grease...and go to it! You will be pleased!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 2:05pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks for the tip.

I had read in one of my Wilton Yearbooks about the marshmellow fluff but have never tried it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%