How Do I Do This Technique, Whiskey Cake Top

Decorating By CSCcakes Updated 29 Jan 2015 , 10:53pm by CSCcakes

CSCcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSCcakes Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking for suggestions on how to do the red top of this Maker's Mark cake in the link below. I'd like to get that sheen the original bottles have and I'd like those nice drips. Any suggestions?

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/sweet-surrender-dessert-cafe-louisville?select=sk7oP_qAzVcXQq3PZuIwnQ#uOV4ovXK0ocv8dZqysh-vg

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 7

red candy melts fauxnache.

moeplus3gmail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moeplus3gmail Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 7

Wilton cookie icing in red. It comes in a bottle and you melt it a little. It is great to drip over sides. It dries firm and has a nice sheen to it

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 7

It looks similar to ganache but red in color. I wonder if white chocolate made like ganache but colored red would work. I am no expert so I am sure others will have more ideas coming that could be better and easier. Good luck, I am sure you can do it!!!

CSCcakes Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 2:19am
post #5 of 7

Thanks, I hadn't thought about candy melts or that wilton product. I was also thinking a white chocolate ganache, but I figured to get that strong red color I'd have to get a fat soluble color, which I have been wanting to get anyway. 

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 26 Jan 2015 , 5:25am
post #6 of 7

I second--- go with the red candy melts.  That dark a red would take a lot of colour to deepen and could affect the chocolate and dry it out to crack.--and I am thinking powdered colour.    As much as I prefer making my own stuff, this is one case where the premade works... Just be careful when you melt the red candy to do it low temp.

CSCcakes Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%