Covering Tall Cakes Using Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By lili2308 Updated 1 Feb 2015 , 3:02pm by hobbist

lili2308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lili2308 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 4:04am
post #1 of 6

Hi from Australia!

I work in a cake shop, this is my first job in a bakery. I used to do cakes at home for family and then when a job opened at a bakery I applied and got it / very happy about the change :-))

Anyway, I am still learning...

At the bakery they use Satin Ice fondant.

I find that I have some trouble covering tall cakes and I was wondering if i could have some advice / tips.

At home I use Bakels RTR and I love it.

My problem is that when I color the satin Ice fondant (usually in blue), and once I put it on the cake, I have some tear on the side.

I thought it was because I put the cake on the turning table so it was too high and the weight of the fondant created the tear. So I tried without the turning table and I still had a tear.

I thought it was because it was too thick. I then rolled it thinner but as soon as I picked the fondant up to put it on the cake, I had some tear.

What do I do wrong?

Is it the color? (I use gel colors)

It is the thickness?

is it the fondant?

Should I use a different method?

I don't know and I hope I can get some advices :-)

I am more than happy to answer any other questions you may have, to help me get there :-)

5 replies
savannah8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannah8 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 6

I am not an expert, but I would do the circumference of the cake first, then the top in a Marina Sousa 

Jeweled Wedding Cake tutorial  (crafty class) she used this method and I have tried it several 

times and it works with high cakes.

lili2308 Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 5:35am
post #3 of 6

Thanks savannah8

I'll definitely have a look at the method.

Any thing that can help is always good :-)

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 5:54am
post #4 of 6

A

Original message sent by savannah8

I am not an expert, but I would do the circumference of the cake first, then the top in a Marina Sousa  Jeweled Wedding Cake tutorial  (crafty class) she used this method and I have tried it several  times and it works with high cakes.

I agree. If you think about, if a cake is taller than it is wide, then the weight of the Fondant on the sides is a lot heavier than the piece on top of the cake. So of course it will tear. I don't think there is much else you could do. I'm no pro though! Good luck!

lili2308 Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 6:01am
post #5 of 6

We tried again on Friday. We tried to do a "Dr Who, phonebooth cake". The height was taller than it was wide. And again, we had to color the fondant with blue. And again, lots of tear. Horrible job really...

i haven't given up yet. I asked my boss to buy some dark blue fondant from bakels to see if it makes a difference. I believe adding so much color is wrong but because we have to use that product, I am not sure how to get away with it.

hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 6

I did a Dr. Who tardis cake this summer for my Husband's birthday.  I used satin ice fondant that i colored blue 2 days before using.  I did each side separately and it worked well.  I froze the whole cake boxed and wrapped in plastic wrap then foil and we went camping.   The day before the party i put the boxed cake in the fridge .  day of party i put cake on the counter to thaw.  Satin ice held up very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%