Bleached Flour

Decorating By makeherabaker Updated 25 Jan 2015 , 1:17am by leah_s

makeherabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeherabaker Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 4

Bleached flour is illegal here in the UK.

What can I use as an alternative?

I just got The Cake Bible and it doesn't look like I can make any of the recipes

I saw a recipe for Kate flour which is apparently an alternative for bleached flour but it is a time consuming process considering that Cake Bible recipes take a quite a few hours anyway.

Should I just send back the book?

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 4

some people do love her cake recipes but only her icing/filling recipes are appreciated across the board -- her cake recipes are not as successful -- she has a theory about cake leveners that is also not accepted across the board -- her chocolate oblivion flourless cake is awesome --

one of the biggest things i don't like about her book is the information for the recipes is located in three different places making it difficult to follow -- you really need to read it and re-write it so it flows for you when you're trying to make your magic in the kitchen --

there are better books and recipes out there in my opinion but some people swear by her -- not me :-D

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 4

Many bakers interchange bleached and unbleached flour. I never find much (if any) difference in the final product.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 1:17am
post #4 of 4

You can interchange bleached and unbleached flour.  Flour naturally bleaches itself as it sits.  The bleached flour speeds up the process with chemicals.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%