Cake Board Sizes And Ganache Question!

Decorating By melbakescakes Updated 24 Jan 2015 , 8:11pm by petitecat

melbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melbakescakes Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

1. what size cake board do you use? for example I made a 6in cake yesterday and used a 6in cardboard round and I always have to trim the sides to allow enough room for 1/4 in buttercream. It is frustrating! I have seen other people talk about shrinkage but I used WASC and the cake came out 6in.

2. I love ganache and it really is so much easier BUT I cannot use it on every cake. Do people put ganache even on cakes that don't go well with chocolate? Or do you use ganache exclusively on the outside?

Thanks!

1 reply
petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 2

AIt's very odd because my choc cake recipe shrinks every time except when it's baked in a 6" pan. I've decided to get some 5" pans so I don't have to trim it for the 6" board. Otherwise I use cards the same size as the cake pans, 8" boards for 8" pans and so on.

I will use ganache if that's what a client wants. It is more expensive than BC so it's not a common request. So, no, I don't use ganache exclusively for outside of cakes. I live in the UK & it's cool or cold most of the year so using BC isn't an issue. I think the Australians seem to use ganache exclusively for cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%