Winbeckler Buttercream Troubles...

Decorating By storestore Updated 13 Jan 2015 , 8:23pm by storestore

storestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 28 Dec 2014 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 5

I have followed this recipe to a T a number of times and am still having TWO problems with this recipe.  

1) Everytime I make this icing it seems there is not nearly enough liquid right off the bat (or I am not measuring my powdered sugar correctly). My machine (a fairly new Cuisinart) begins to struggle and I freak out and turn it off. When I look into the bowl the mixture looks like coarse dough - lumpy and dry-looking and I can hardly even move it with my hands. I end up adding at least another half cup of water and in the end it makes a beautiful icing but in my mind I know it's not actually correct -  it's bugging me! Here is the recipe below (except I use 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of shortening). 2 lbs of powdered sugar is 7.5 cups, right?  I put the liquids, powdered sugar and 1/3 of the butter/shortening just as it says. And that's where I get stuck.

2 lbs. powdered sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup warm water *
2 teaspoon clear vanilla flavoring
7/8 teaspoon near-colorless butter flavoring
3/8 teaspoon popcorn (fine grain) salt, if not available, omit salt
1 lbs. (2 cups) shortening (Sweetex if possible--Crisco will work.) Sweetex is a high-ratio shortening.

2) I never had a problem with icing bulges under my fondant until I started using this recipe. Now I can pretty much expect it every time. Is this icing not suitable for use under fondant? Before, I was using Wilton and had no troubles but I switched to winbeckler because I love how smooth it is.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 5

if the confectioner's sugar is sifted it should just all come together -- what i do sometimes is get everything moving around in the bowl except the liquid then when the mixer starts to strain while it is still going -- i pop the liquid in right at the base of the bowl where the beater hits the bottom so the liquid gives it a quick jolt of mercy and then just let it mix slowly-- scrapey scrape scrape -- continue to mix till all is well --

storestore Posted 30 Dec 2014 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 5

I'll give that a try right now. Thanks k8!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 1 Jan 2015 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 5

I would suggest you try to make it by weighing out all the ingredients to make sure.  It's much more accurate, and he gives you the weights in the recipe.

storestore Posted 13 Jan 2015 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 5

Anyone have trouble with this icing holding up under fondant? I get a bulge at the very top of the sides of the cake (as well as where the fillings are). I am doing a zebra cake and I want to make sure I can put the black stripes on pink winbeckler buttercream icing and it will hold up. I want to make this icing work for me because it is SOOO nice for covering cakes. Sheen and beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%