New To This...how Do I Price This Cake????

Business By FutureCakeBoss Updated 16 Dec 2014 , 1:33pm by 7189de

FutureCakeBoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FutureCakeBoss Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 4:47am
post #1 of 5

Hey guys, I've been a big fan of this website for a while now and have been learning a lot about the caking business as I have been getting more orders, so I have finally decided to give in and make an account! Yiiippiiiiiiii !!! :-D:grin:

Ive been looking into pricing my orders more accurately as it has been difficult to make it fair for the customer and for myself... now for my question.......... :)

The cake order is for a client who wants a cake that will be feeding approximately 25-30 people. The cake will look something like this with just a tad bit more design to it (nothing too crazy) except it will be only 2 tiered. It will have 3 layers as all of my cake orders do and it will be a chocolate cake covered with fondant. What would you guys charge???

I believe i have an idea of what to quote but i just want some reassurance :)

(for pricing purposes i live in a big city in north America)

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=%2f%2fPbpVF7KOVsKuglsnlaUDbvccNZJe1bp7McDUaX9Mg%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.andersruff.com%2fcustom-printable-parties%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2012%2f09%2fjewelry-birthday-party-printables-25.jpg\

Thank you for your help in advance !!!! :) :) :)

4 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 5:00am
post #2 of 5

I couldn't get the cake picture to open.  You will find that cake pricing varies widely from a buck a serving to $5 a serving and up.  It depends on your skills, your costs, expenses including cleaning supplies, your time to shop, bake, mix, clean, each and every thing that goes in, on and around your cake, other cake pricing in the area, you need to factor in your time on business development, advertising as well as all they time you put into calls and emails to finalize this order.  Other peoples pricing means nothing since there numbers for these things would be different from yours.  What size cakes are you planning?  Even a 6, 8 serves 36 so make sure you are charging for the correct number of servings.  I don't sell so can't answer that part of your question.  My last comment is I don't understand when people want a 'fair' price for their customers.  It only needs to be fair to you.  They can chose to buy from you or not, it doesn't need to be 'fair' to them.

FutureCakeBoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FutureCakeBoss Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 5:32am
post #3 of 5

it is the cake on this website: http://www.andersruff.com/custom-printable-parties/tag/glamour-girl/

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking, 6 and a 8 inch since i know that they will go for seconds. It is for someone who i know well and I'm just starting to take cake orders but i have done cakes before. Skill wise, i am pretty good and people are always complementing and commenting on my cakes. I'm estimating my costs will be a between $40-60.  To be more specific I was thinking to add some silver embellishments and there will be the name painted in silver and the age number standing up. I was thinking to charge around 200 but i dont know is that too much???? ahhhhh the frustration of a baker!!!! :-(:-(:-(

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 5:55am
post #4 of 5

AHow much time to shop, mix, bake, create, Communicate with the customer? As part of your business plan you need to determine all of these things, figuring in your desired wage and profit. Do some googling, there are lots of topics on pricing on cc and other forums.

7189de Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7189de Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 5

Be fair to yourself or you'll never make a profit. how much time,costs of supplies,electric,gas in vehicle. Here in Myrtle Beach bakery's start at $4.50-$5.00 a slice. Then add decorating fee $25 and hour and of course delivery& set up charge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%