Need Your Feedback

Business By MoniJ Updated 11 Dec 2014 , 12:36pm by MoniJ

MoniJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoniJ Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 2:03am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and have been reading lots of threads.  I am a Cottage Food baker with a full time job.  I bake cupcakes and bundt cakes that are all natural and organic, the majority of my ingredients are organic. 

I come to you today for your thoughts.

A lady I know came to me before Thanksgiving and stated the company she works for was thinking of ordering 46 cakes to give to their customers for Christmas.  We discussed price and she said they needed to work out a schedule with me since they wanted to deliver them to their customers.  I offer to provide them with a sample of my Carrot Cake.  I even gave a small discount for the volume.

I delivered the sample to them the day before Thanksgiving.  I called her on December 1st and left her a detailed voice message that I needed to know if they were going to place an order so we could get 50% down and I could get the supplies I needed because I do not stock enough for that volume. 

She is just now getting back with me today.  And now wants 7 1/2 dozen cupcakes and 14 cakes. They want them next Tues, Wed and Thurs.

I don't have time to get bulk ingredients or more pans, I have 2 cake pans. It takes over an hour to make one cake. 

If I didn't have a full time 12 hour a day job last minute might be okay.

My thoughts are to let her know I left her a detailed messaged and her timing in getting back to me and I can't deliver in that time line.   I can't bake all of it over the weekend and it still be fresh by Tues and Wed.

Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks!!!

6 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 2:41am
post #2 of 7

AYou can if you freeze the cakes. If you start tonight and bake a couple every night and finish the last ones on Saturday and then cupcakes on Sunday. Decorate on Monday.

MoniJ Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 2:49am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the feedback.  I've never frozen my cakes and cupcakes and am concerned about the quality once thawed.  With her new schedule I don't have time to test it. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 4:25am
post #4 of 7

AFor just a few days freezing is great! It actually improves the moisture in your cake. Do a search on freezing cakes.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 4:28am
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastrybaglady 

For just a few days freezing is great! It actually improves the moisture in your cake. Do a search on freezing cakes.

I baked cake today, put the layers in the freezer tonight for an overnight freeze, tomorrow I'll take them out and decorate.  It greatly improves the moisture.  I'm with @Pastrybaglady!!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 6:41am
post #6 of 7

AI just froze a left over cake recently and was very concerned like you about freshness. And actually it was delicious

MoniJ Posted 11 Dec 2014 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 7

AThanks! I'll have to test it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%