Could Someone Please Tell Me What This Hat Is Made Of?

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 15 Dec 2014 , 11:08am by sweetassugarcak

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone!

I have to do a cake for this weekend and I was just studying the cake. I am not doing this exact design but she wants the curious george on top with the giant hat. I was thinking of making the hat out of gumpaste but I am worried that it might be too heavy and if I roll it too thin it will be brittle. It looks like the hat is made out of something other than gumpaste but I'm not sure what medium would have been used to make this hat? It almost looks like a light weight foam-type substance. Any ideas? TIA!

6 replies
Paper Icing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paper Icing Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 7

ATry modeling chocolate over a half-ball Styrofoam base for the hat.

137bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
137bakes Posted 7 Dec 2014 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 7

Arice crispy....mould the hat let it dry...cover with a thin layer of fondant then do a second cover so it is smooth

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2014 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by 137bakes 

rice crispy....mould the hat let it dry...cover with a thin layer of fondant then do a second cover so it is smooth

what would keep the brim from cracking under the weight of the fondant?

137bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
137bakes Posted 7 Dec 2014 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 7

Achocolate. go on google or you tube. you should find some good tutorials.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 7 Dec 2014 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 7

I would use gumpaste, let it dry solidly then don't apply it until the cake is in place.  You'll be fine.  You can see where the artist placed her fingers along the brim to thin it out so it's either gumpaste or yellow candy clay (my guess is clay).  If you're worried about it just make the brim of the hat out of yellow construction paper  but the bowl of the hat out of gumpaste.

sweetassugarcak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetassugarcak Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 11:08am
post #7 of 7

AI would also opt for candy clay. You could be made with gumpaste but if you do recreate it candy clay will give you some flex even when dry so transporting it will be much easier .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%