First Time Stacking A 3 Tiered Cake! Eeek! Advice Please?

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 25 Nov 2014 , 6:24pm by costumeczar

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 8

The cake will be 10" 8" and 6"...until now the most I've ever stacked was an 8" and 6". So super nervous. The client wants to changed the size last minute as she's having more guests than we agreed on.

I'm looking at this video and it seems pretty simple but any other advice?

Lastly, any other tip? Really appreciate it.  I know it shouldn't be much different from my 2 tiered cakes but I always left it was heavy as a 8" and 6" and now thinking all that will go on a 10" just scares me. 

7 replies
jessiecakes1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiecakes1983 Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 8

Hi,

I've done a few tiered cakes now and always use the boba straws personally as think it's more hygenic and more cost effective, Laura Poopie has a great tutorial on how to use/stack them if you seach Krazy Kool Cakes on You Tube.

You just put them in straight and when it's close to the top I just cut them with a good pair of scissors til they are all level as soon as you've covered your cake in fondant, would always use just one drum for the base and then thin card for under each tier if that makes sense?

You would only need to dowel the 10 inch and the 8 inch.  A good tip is to put your cake tin on top of your cake to see when it would 'sit' and then dowel different areas and the middle so it all fits well together and also I usually either put royal icing underneath each layer to give it more sturdyness but just take your time and you will be fine so don't worry :)

If you've got a spirit level make sure your surface is completely flat and then that way you can never go wrong! :D

Hope this helps

Jess

x

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 24 Nov 2014 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 8

If you are transporting all 3 tiers assembled I would put a dowel that runs through all 3 layers and into the cake drum to secure all layers.  I use one dowel for every 2 inches per round.  For example a stacked 8" would have 4 dowels under it, 6" would 3".  HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 4:21am
post #4 of 8

AUse SPS if you can find it or order it . Read my signature line. Easy to use, cheap and sturdy.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 8:52am
post #5 of 8

Also, I believe that overuse of dowels/straws/whatever can make your cake collapse. Don't use 17 dowels in a tier - that's just as bad as too few.

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaulir 

Also, I believe that overuse of dowels/straws/whatever can make your cake collapse. Don't use 17 dowels in a tier - that's just as bad as too few.

LOL!

Thanks all, yes I always "glue" my tiers with royal icing as well. I'm sure it wont be as scary as I feel now once I start working on it :) 

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 8

Also don't forget that for every dowel you are using, you are loosing some cake!!  I did a wedding cake a few months ago and used the UKs version of SPS.  Got it, everything was great but the dowels were HUGE!!  4 on each tier across 4 tiers knocked a fair whack off the serving number.  They were already cutting it fine so I made up a baby cutting cake to have as well but it's something to remember when quoting portions. :-)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Nov 2014 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaulir 

Exactly right! I put three wooden dowels under a 6" tier and 5 under an 8"tier, no center dowel, and refrigerate the cake after stacking and before delivery. If the cake is cold it will be no problem transporting it. One drum will be enough, I move that size cake around all the time, no big deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%