Make A Fondant Flag And Transfer It At A Later Date

Decorating By amhah Updated 18 Nov 2014 , 1:08am by amhah

amhah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amhah Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 12:24am
post #1 of 6

Hello, I have been on this site many times for all the helpful tips out there but this is my first time posting. I couldn't find anything similar that was helpful/hopeful so here goes. I have to make a cake this coming weekend for a graduation ceremony for a customer. She wants a 3 tiered cake with a fondant american flag draped down the layers. I am not too concerned with how to do either, the trouble comes into play in the set up. I refuse after a horrid past experience to ever again travel with an assembled tiered cake. I always ALWAYS set up on site now. Since the flag needs to cascade down all 3 tiers, obviously it cannot be put on the cake until the day of after assembly on site. I have no idea how I can do this as fondant, in my experience, can be a beast to work with, especially large pieces. How can I preserve the flag and make sure it goes onto the cake without cracking and becoming a huge mess? Any help will be so gratefully appreciated. Thanks!! 

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 12:27am
post #2 of 6

ASomeone posted a similar question this week except she was doing a sari and it was 5 tiers. She got some replies which might help you. I'll see if I can find the thread and post a link...

amhah Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 12:33am
post #3 of 6

Thank you thank you thank you! I will take anything I can get :)

Dayti Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 12:35am
post #4 of 6

Ahttp://www.cakecentral.com/t/780538/drape-on-5-tier-cake#post_7561321

Another way would be to maybe shape it on a 3 tier dummy of the same size and travel with it on the dummy - if you skewer the dummy together you could even lay it down in the car and wedge it somehow so the drape doesn't slide off. Then transfer it to the real cake when you're done stacking. It could still break during the transfer but if you have help, perhaps it would work.

Dayti Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 12:38am
post #5 of 6

AYou can freeze it in the right shape too if your freezer is big enough. It defrosts quickly though and If you have to travel some distance it would be flimsy by the time you got to the venue. Maybe a cooler? I dunno.... Take it between 2 silpat type silicone mats flat so it stays fresh, then drape when you get there?? Thinking out loud really, I've never done a drape like this....

amhah Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 1:08am
post #6 of 6

Thanks again! It had some helpful info for sure and I appreciate all of your suggestions! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%