Freezing Decorated Cakes

Decorating By ginnyrae Updated 30 Oct 2014 , 2:30am by maybenot

ginnyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginnyrae Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:52am
post #1 of 4

I need to freeze a completely decorated cake for two weeks, however, I'm applying an edible sugar sheet. Has anyone ever tried it and if so how did it turn out?  I know there has been a lot of posts on freezing cakes but I can't seem to find a clear answer on the sugar sheets. Thanks!!!  

3 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 4

I've never done it with a sugar sheet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

I'd print off something, apply it to a cupcake or leftover pieces of iced cake, freeze, and defrost per the instructions.

Box cake in a cardboard box, wrap box in saran & foil, freeze.  24 hrs. b/4 display, put wrapped box in fridge.  a few hrs. b/4 display, place wrapped box on counter [larger the cake, the more hours needed].  Right b/4 display, unbox cake.

ginnyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginnyrae Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 2:17am
post #3 of 4

Thanks Maybenot!  I went ahead and finished the cake and am just getting ready to put it in the box,  wrap it up and into the freezer it goes!  Actually, I applied an edible image not a sugar sheet.  I'm hoping it won't bleed while thawing!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 2:30am
post #4 of 4

By using a cardboard box and following the directions exactly, you're controlling the sweating.  The condensation will go to the box & not the cake, so you shouldn't have any bleeding.

Let us know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%