Creating A Dessert Bar

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 30 Oct 2014 , 12:25pm by cazza1

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 12:09am
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone!

I am busy getting ready for my husband's 50th birthday party and he recently informed me that he's tired of buttercream and fondant (yes, after I finalized the design for the cake!). While I'm still trying to pull the dagger from my heart I am realizing that I need to go onto Plan B as this is his birthday party! So, I've decided to create a dessert bar. I feel as though there is something missing from my plan and I'm wondering if anyone can give me any more suggestions to create a visually stimulating and variety in the desserts. Here's what I have so far:

- Kit Kat ice cream barrel cake (all ice cream with kitkat bars around it)

- Pineapple coconut cheesecakes (in bar form)

- sugar cookies decorated with a large 50 on each

- a bowl of M & M's

- 3 kinds of cupcakes: Oreo, Rolo, & Tripleberry

- Lemon blueberry cake (6" decorated with rustic finish and fresh blueberries on top)

Thanks for any suggestions!

7 replies
Krhardi969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krhardi969 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:01am
post #2 of 8

AI would do some sort of brownies as well.

Inga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inga1 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:10am
post #3 of 8

Tired of butter cream and fondant? How about dark chocolate ganache? Or something totally different, homemade baklava?

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:54am
post #4 of 8

Chocolate fondue with fresh fruit.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 4:13am
post #5 of 8

AOooh, love baklava too! How about "pig ears" (don't know how you call that puff pastry rolls...?) in the shape of 50?

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 8

Yum - what's more fun than a table with mega desserts on it!!  I'm a fan of individual items, however instead of having to cut cake(s)

Here's a couple of ideas I'd put on my own table!

cookie ice cream sandwiches (red velvet, chocolate chip ) or mini waffle ice cream sandwiches.  I currently love anything "waffled" - you can even make cookie dough waffles.  Assemble the whole thing in the freezer and pull out when ready to serve.

I make brownies in my mini cupcake pan (including paper liners) they pop out ready to serve and don't stick - you can chocolate fudge ice and sprinkle

mini lemon meringue pies using a cupcake pan

marshmallows dipped in white chocolate or dark chocolate and then dipped in sprinkles on a lollipop stick.  This is the simplest by far and besides brownies - the fastest eaten!!

Saturday is my birthday and the dessert I'm making myself that I'm itchin to try is chocolate ravioli.  I'm going to use a cannoli filling with a side of raspberry sauce and caramel sauce.  

So hungry right now but eating a salad :(

Good Luck!

Theresa

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 2:59am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! My mind is racing now with ideas! I'll let you know what I decide when I do!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 8

....and there is no reason why you cannot slip your birthday cake in there too.  Hubby might not want to eat it, but I am sure everyone else will, and he will have plenty of other choices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%