What Is This Support System?

Decorating By leah_s Updated 30 Oct 2014 , 12:41am by Annie8

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 14

I've never seen this.  Since a retail bakery is using it, I'm assuming it's readily available.  I'm attaching a link to Dawn's site for videos.  Watch the Wedding Cake Production one.

http://www.bakemag.com/videos/discovering%20americas%20bakeries.aspx

13 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 14

Interesting - looks like a pvc pipe to me. That certainly wouldn't collapse, and it would be relatively cheap.

melmar02 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 14

Also interesting that she iced the top tier after it was already stacked.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 14

It did sort of look like PVC pipe, but it was thinner, I think.  PVC is kinda thick.  

And yeah, I could never ice a tier that's already sitting on top of a finished tier.  I've seen a few oldtimers do it, but I certainly can't!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 14

I wasn't able to find the video but are you talking about Cake Frame?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 14

Very interesting, @leah_s! It does look like PVC pipe. I googled and found a few blogs that talked about using PVC, as in the image below. My only question: Is it food safe? Especially since the pipes are cut and the contents exposed.

photo-15.JPG 

melmar02 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 14

There are different types of PVC. I would think if you are using the same PVC that is used for water lines - like the kind that run to your kitchen sink - they would be food safe.

MimiFix Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar02 

There are different types of PVC. I would think if you are using the same PVC that is used for water lines - like the kind that run to your kitchen sink - they would be food safe.

I was thinking about the other parts of the pipe. The pipes are cut crosswise so we don't know what they contain. And the outside of the pipes are not manufactured to be used with food, so what are they coated with? I'm just wondering...  

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 14

I would think that the pipe manufacturers would use the same food-safe PVC for inside and outside, to save having to faff around too much. Unless the inside of the pipes are coated with something special on top of regular plastic/PVC. We would have to ask a proper expert opinion though, I'm just guessing...

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 14

Perhaps something along those lines that is required to be food safe would work the same way (be very stable, avoiding the "slipped dowel"). What popped up in my head was canned frosting. I don't buy that for cakes I make, but I could make something with it and take it to work (they will eat anything). Then cut the top lip and bottom off the plastic "can" (to the height that you want) and use that to hold up the second (third, etc.) tier. Maybe I'll try it.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 14

My brother is a plumber and he says PVC is not food safe, we've discussed this topic before!  Like when I've suggested he help me with some structure!

I wouldn't take the chance with it, even though Buddy Velastro does it all the time - sometimes covered in rkt and sometimes not.

Theresa

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 14

Honestly, that wall thickness [and the hassle of cutting it] is really overkill.  It's definitely sturdy, no doubt about that.

Pretty much ANY hollow column of a decent bore--like bubble tea straws, Wilton hollow dowels or pillars, SPS columns, whatever--will have the same "holding" power.  It's the physics of the shape, not the thickness of the wall. 

A thick walled "straw/dowel" with a tiny hole is no better than a skinny stick [wooden dowel] because both can be gradually bowed from pressure and can slip easily.  A hollow column with a large hole can't bow that way and isn't prone to slippage because of the cake plug that anchors it in place--that's the beauty of it.

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 12:41am
post #14 of 14

I've always wondered about the food safety value of PVC.  My husband was in the heating/cooling/plumbing trade and he wouldn't let me use it for cakes.  I'm excited to see what Dawn Butler is going to make with her new product, Cake Frame.  It kinda looks like SPS with the ability to make shapes and complex cakes with it.  I do love me some SPS so I hope this is a great option for me to do gravity defying cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%