Which Buttercream Is Better For Decorating?

Decorating By Stephanieamr1 Updated 28 Oct 2014 , 12:47am by Stephanieamr1

Stephanieamr1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephanieamr1 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 1:00am
post #1 of 5

AIm new at this cake decorating thing, so I wanted to now which buttercream is better for decorating? I love the taste of smbc and imbc but my cakes dont come out to smooth and plus I live in Florida. What do you guy recommend?

4 replies
goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 2:06am
post #2 of 5

This is the recipe I use. It's a variation on "SugarShack Buttercream" www.sugaredproductions.com  I live near Houston so our humidity is similar to Florida.

Crusting Buttercream Icing

Ingredients:

2 cups of hi ratio shortening

4 sticks butter

4 pounds powdered sugar

1 tsp. salt

4 tblsp. flavorings (I like to use 2 tbls. vanilla, 1 tbls. almond, 1 tbls. lemon juice)

Hot liquid as needed (Note: make the liquid by mixing half cup of hot water with half cup of powdered coffee creamer)

2 tblsp. cornstarch (for humidity)

Instructions:

Cream butter, shortening and flavorings until smooth. Add powdered sugar in a slow steady stream on speed one. Add hot liquid as needed. Typically no more than 2 tbls. When all the powdered sugar is mixed in, go to highest speed until very smooth. Usually about 5 minutes. Add cornstarch. Scrape down bowl sides frequently. I place a plastic grocery bag over the Kitchen-Aid through entire process to avoid sugar storm.

Sweet_Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Kakes Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 5

Can this buttercream be stored in the fridge until ready to use and then re-whip?

goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 12:13am
post #4 of 5

I'm sure it can. However I typically use it as quickly as I make it. If I need a smaller batch, I just half the ingredients. It's also okay to keep it covered and at room temperature for a couple days.

Stephanieamr1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephanieamr1 Posted 28 Oct 2014 , 12:47am
post #5 of 5

AThanks for the tip goodvibrations im going to try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%