How To Melt And Shape Jolly Ranchers Without Cookie Cutters

Decorating By BearKat0205 Updated 24 Oct 2014 , 11:58am by AAtKT

BearKat0205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BearKat0205 Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 6

AI am making a frozen castle for my daughters birthday cake. I was thinking of using gumpaste, but heard you can melt and shape jolly ranchers. However, all the tutorials I have seen use cookie cutters. I need irregular shapes for the castle. Could I cut the melted candy with a knife or pizza roller?

5 replies
virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 6

I have not tried this...the idea is only my brain thinkin' how could this be done...

could you fold heavy duty aluminum foil, repeatedly, into long strips, then curve and bend the strips into the shapes you want? you would join the two ends of the strip by tucking one fold into the other.  

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 6

I've got to make a Frozen cake next week also. I hadn't thought of Jolly Ranchers. Do they come in blue??? I was just thinking of pouring it out onto parchment paper into the shapes I wanted. Or, wrinkle up some foil, spray with cooking spray, and use that to give the 'ice' some texture. I'll have to do some testing on this!

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 6:52am
post #4 of 6

We don't get Jolly Ranchers in Australia but I have used Starburst Fruit Chews in this way.  I melted them in short bursts in the microwave until pliable.  

You can roll them, cut them, shape them and bend them - need to work quickly and be careful because they are very hot.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 9:50am
post #5 of 6

What exactly is a jolly rancher?  Some sort of lolly?

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 11:58am
post #6 of 6

Similar... Just no stick... It is a small rectangular/cube-like shape hard candy...

Why not just let them melt randomly for the shapes?

Or is you are looking for something smaller, break them up a bit first, then let them melt randomly...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%