Devils Food Cake Vs Choc Fudge Cake

Baking By lillyanne Updated 22 Oct 2014 , 12:36am by MBalaska

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 3

What generally is the difference in devils food cake and chocolate fudge cake please? Is one stronger flavour or denser than the other? Which would be better for stacking/tiered cake.

Thank you in advance

2 replies
Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 21 Oct 2014 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 3

ASemantics. Words have differnt meanings to different people. There's a thread round here refusing to die, on that. I've seen the explanation of devils food having a springy texture, only using cocoa, and a good amount of fat. Hersheys perfectly chocolate cake fits the bill, but I've also seen that same recipe recommended when a fudgy cake is requested. If someone asked me for a fudgy cake or a devils food cake, I would ask the same questions to determine what recipe I'd use. Dense, springy or fluffy? Dark chocolate vs milk chocolate. And then refine within my head butter vs oil, traditional creaming vs reverse, cocoa vs chocolate or both. Hersheys, Scott wooleys, KAF's milk chocolate or spago chiffon.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Oct 2014 , 12:36am
post #3 of 3

I had thought that most devils food cakes were made with either buttermilk, or milk & vinegar.  With the opportunity to look at recipes on the internet, that doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

here's an interesting webpage about cake history that includes info on devils food cakes:

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcakes.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%