Dry Ice

Decorating By chocaholikk Updated 14 Dec 2014 , 12:08am by -K8memphis

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 14

AHi guys.

I'm making a frozen themed Cake and would like to use dry ice for the fog effect. This will be underneath the cake stand. Has anyone ever used this before?? Does it affect cake in any way? All help appreciated. Thanks

13 replies
chocaholikk Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 12:24am
post #2 of 14

ANobody tried dry ice??

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 3:37am
post #3 of 14

I "almost" tried dry ice for a dummy cake in a bridal show.  I had made a Halloween wedding cake (complete with flying bats and ghosts on it!) and wanted the fog effect under the cake at the show.  I bought the dry ice, put it in my walk-in, as directed, and when I pulled it out the next day, I had a box of air! 8O    I was so ticked!! :cry:    The whole thing evaporated overnight and I didn't get to use it!  So if you give it a shot, be sure you ask lots of questions about how to store it, travel with it, etc.

chocaholikk Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 8:44am
post #4 of 14

AI think ur supposed to do it as u need it...so as soon as u put water on it starts to work... Xxx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 11:40am
post #5 of 14

I didn't even have a chance to put any water on it .... it had all turned to air by the next morning.  I really did something wrong .... and I was looking forward to my mini-science experiment, too!  LOL!

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 14

We've used dry ice a couple of times for volcano cakes. We bought the dry ice the day before and kept in the freezer. A cup was built into the volcano where we placed the dry ice and then poured in the water. Coolest thing ever! Depending on how much dry ice is used it will go on for a really long time. And the kids love it..almost as much as my husband. We're going to put some in a pumpkin with glow sticks for halloween. I really don't see how it would affect the cake if it's underneath the stand but I have no experience with that..Have fun!!

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 23 Oct 2014 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 14

I also used dry ice in a volcano cake.  Just make sure to use the correct water to dry ice ratio or the water will freeze.  First go I had a very small cup for the water and a decent sized chunk of ice and it froze the water. duh

chocaholikk Posted 24 Oct 2014 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 14

AOoh thanks guys! Is there a brand you would recommend? I'm in the UK...thank u xx

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 25 Oct 2014 , 1:18am
post #9 of 14

Dry ice....as it breaks down, it turns directly into carbon dioxide gas rather than a liquid. 

Should have no affect on cake, and make a cool effect...lol

chocaholikk Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 14

AWoohoo thank you...could u recommend any brands??

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 14

Since no one has mentioned it, I'll chime in with the obligatory safety warning.  Dry Ice should never be touched with bare hands because it can burn your skin easily.  Also, make sure to use it in a well ventilated area.  As it evaporates (sublimates) it releases carbon dioxide, which in large quantities can be dangerous.  Read up on it and make sure you use it safely!

chocaholikk Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 14

AThanks for the head up @cupadeecakes

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 12:03am
post #13 of 14

dry ice is not "branded" -- it's a generic product.

a good fish monger or a chemist should be able to refer you to a source as oft used to pack frozen fish and perishable drugs for long distance shipping.

use HOT water for a large effect, room temp for wisps. 

warning -- the fog is laden with moisture and will get things wet after a while.

another option -- a "cold mist" humidifier -- it will create a wisps of fog, just uses water, and easier to use over and over again.

do not use an oil based fogger of any sort!!!!

here's a site with info: http://www.dryiceinfo.com/fog.htm

and if you google "build your own dry ice fog machine" you'll find lots of sources for making one, all the way up to ones capable of flooding the entire room (theatre folk have LOTS of experience with this (cue Phantom cruising with Christine in his boat o're the lake of candles).

in fact, if you have a local theatre troupe, they may just have one you could borrow!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Dec 2014 , 12:08am
post #14 of 14

doug, nice to see you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%