Christmas Carol Themed Cake

Decorating By ehhicks Updated 19 Oct 2014 , 8:02pm by ehhicks

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 8

AHi everyone. I was hoping that you all might have some ideas/photos that could help me out. I have been requested to do a cake for a Christmas Carol themed birthday party. They would like for it to look the the cash box that Jacob Marleys ghost carries with chains, locks and keys. This would be very different for me but I'm excited to give it a try. Do you have any thoughts?ideas?or photos for reference that may help? I do appreciate it

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 8

ok really any shape/size box will do -- i would silver it then dust it with cocoa powder -- would be really cool to have a hand connected to the lid hanging on -- and disguise the end of the arm with a cuff --

chains are easy -- make a ton of sausages and loop one then interconnect all the rest -- i think i'd try to square them rather than have round links -- square ones look creepier  -- and to keep it all the same i'd find a square to be my guide like a small match box or little slice of foam etc. -- covered with plastic wrap --

and for an extreme element -- make it levitate off the table maybe rotate from side to side -- do i know how to do that? no i don't -- i'm brain storming :-D and i'd attach chains and keys to rise up & down to disguise the mechanism that make the box go up and down from side to side --

in some pictures jm has more than one box and extra locks too --

sounds like so much fun

-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 8

a great time to whip out the dry ice so it could billow up from around the bottom -- yes!

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 8

AK-8 Memphis is on the right track but I would use and extruder the make the chains look more uniform. When you cut the pieces they will look sharper and attach them around the next loop with a little gum glue.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 8

Arusti, great idea -- easy for peeps with enough strength in their hands -- for weenies like me and for those without an extruder -- if the 'sausage' is rolled between two dowels/skewers that are same size -- this will also ensure a uniform diameter link

i hope we get pictures

ehhicks Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 8

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3296272/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Here is how it turned out. I'm still learning so I was pretty happy with it. And they said they loved it. Thanks for all the ideas!

-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 8

Aawesome -- love the lock & keys -- jacob would be proud :D

ehhicks Posted 19 Oct 2014 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%