Do You Rotate Your Pans?

Decorating By Cevamal Updated 13 Oct 2014 , 7:44pm by iliketocookstuf

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 12

AMost recipes say to but I worry about jostling partially set cake batter.

I just pulled a set of 9" yellow cakes out of the oven and not only are they domed (despite bake even strips), they're unevenly domed and the one towards the back of the oven cooked faster.

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 12

no i do not rotate my cake pans as a rule -- i'm with you i can't figure out how to do it without everything deflating and without getting burned --

but what i do sometimes is use a one inch bigger pan then i can whittle down to the right size even it bakes wonky-- it seems there's a sweet spot just inside the edges so i delete those lower edges that's not the right size --

i'm not saying it's economical but it relieves the anxiety of the cake not baking right and eliminates the need to get creative patching it up to fit --

works for me

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 12

I often rotate my pans in the last 15 mins. of baking--after the jiggly stage--and especially if the pan is over 12" in any dimension.

I also rotate my 24 cavity cupcake pan because the 2 front corner cavities always seem a bit underdone--they're nearest the oven door corners.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

no i do not rotate my cake pans as a rule -- i'm with you i can't figure out how to do it without everything deflating and without getting burned --

Me either.  I'd rather just take one out at the end, that looks done and keep the other in an extra minute if needed.  Burns and cakes deflating and crashing just was to much for me.

Cevamal Posted 11 Oct 2014 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 12

AOk, I'm glad it's not just me that finds rotating untenable!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 12:19am
post #6 of 12

I rarely bake in anything other that my 6 inch tins and my muffin tin but I generally always bake in two tins and rotate them towards the end of cooking using two tea towels, one for each tin. My oven is far hotter in the Right than the left. I pull the right tin out, push the left to the right and then put the one that was on the right to the left if they are on the same shelf.

I just turn the muffin tin around.

If the cakes are on different shelves I just pull them out at the same time and switch them over.

I imagine that it would be much harder and slower to do it if you are baking large cakes but the 6 inch tins require only one hand each so it makes it easy for me.

Cevamal Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 12

ACurious: Why nothing bigger than 6"?

bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cevamal 

Curious: Why nothing bigger than 6"?

Because I only bake for myself and if we have small family birthdays (rarely more than 8 - 10 of us there) so I bake small cakes. When I bake them just for us I cut then up into pieces and freeze them :-)

.....and if I make a small cake they are eaten up faster so that I can make another one sooner lol.

Cevamal Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 1:43am
post #9 of 12

Makes sense!

I've always made shorter cakes (more like 2" than 4") and usually 8 or 9". I like my 9" pans better so generally 9". :D

I made my first 4" high 9" cake tonight. Holy hell, that's a lot of cake!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 2:54am
post #10 of 12

I know we've gone off topic from rotating pans, however 6"x2" rounds are new to me.  When I bought them this year,  I thought for sure that they'd make a cake about the size of a cupcake.

Now that I've made two 6" layer cakes with SMBC I'm completely blown away at how HUGE they actually are.  I remember reading @AZCouture talk about putting a 6" on top of her tier cakes.  It puzzled me.

Not anymore, they are a nice size for a family.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 3:10am
post #11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

I know we've gone off topic from rotating pans, however 6"x2" rounds are new to me.  When I bought them this year,  I thought for sure that they'd make a cake about the size of a cupcake.

Now that I've made two 6" layer cakes with SMBC I'm completely blown away at how HUGE they actually are.  I remember reading @AZCouture talk about putting a 6" on top of her tier cakes.  It puzzled me.

Not anymore, they are a nice size for a family.

That makes me smile 'the size of a cupcake' lol, my Husband thinks that I am pretty stingy when I cut my pieces but whenever I see people saying that there is no way that a 6 inch cake would be good for 12  - 15 people I refrain from saying that I actually get at least 15 pieces from a 6 inch. I make the cake 4 inches high and the pieces that I cut leave you thinking ..... 'hmmm I could eat another piece of that yummy cake' rather than wishing you hadn't eaten so much. We always have a dessert as well at family gatherings so it is really just a small part of the meal to finish up with.

Seems a good way to eat a cake to me :-)

iliketocookstuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iliketocookstuf Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 12

I am new to cake baking, but I have rotated everything I've made with no issues. I do it mostly out of neuroticism I think. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%