How To Stretch Cake Mix For Cupcakes

Baking By lisafdennis Updated 14 Oct 2014 , 12:32pm by smile22

lisafdennis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisafdennis Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 4

Hi ladies (and maybe some gentlemen, too!)

I'm not a professional baker and just make cupcakes for fun, friends and family. I've found a lot of great tips on here but this is my first time posting a question.

I use cake mix a lot of times but always doctor it up with 3 eggs, a stick of unsalted butter and 1 c. water.  My problem is that with some cake mixes (I always used Betty Crocker), I will get 24 cupcakes and sometimes I only get 22-23.  I realize they are different flavors, but this creates a problem for me when I promise I'll bring 2 dozen.  I always use the same scoop so I know I'm measuring the same amount - and I always use identical tins so I'm fairly certain I'm not measuring wrong.

Any ideas or suggestions on how I can be assured I will get 24 cupcakes from a mix? 

Help and thanks in advance!!

3 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 1:45am
post #2 of 4

do something simple next time, like add two tbsp. of flour and two tbsp. of sugar, that will get you an extra  cupcake.    OR

buy an extra box of mix and add about a quarter cup of extra mix to your batter. and maybe a tsp. of oil.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 4:26am
post #3 of 4

Really, most likely the problem lies w/the flavor of the cupcakes you are using.  Yes, each flavor yields different amounts of batter.   Also, the 'new' smaller size mixes don't produce as many cuppies :( 

If you want to be sure to have enough, try using my *original* WASC mix.  http://www.cakecentral.com/t/584319/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe.  You should get at least 30 cuppies from each batch :)

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 4

when i started doing cupcakes i did a box mix doctored up with oil and sour cream it worked to make the cupcakes moist and i was getting 24 out of them. then they cut on the box size and swore you could still get the same ammount bs so i started using an off brand cake mix that would give me 24 i used aldi brand and then price rite brand and the results were great but now i make my own batters from scratch and i find they turn out better and the taste is 100% better. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%