Blue Fondant Fading ??

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 15 Oct 2014 , 10:45am by Sweet_Toof

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 4:56am
post #1 of 6

AI have a dummy foam cake Which I would like to cover now in fondant but the cake will not be used for another 2 1/2 weeks. It will be a blue with some purple mixed in And I was thinking about putting it in a dark place until we need it Do you think It will still fade or would it be ok to do now?

5 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 6

AI never had fondant fade in color. It's rather the opposite, the longer I leave it alone, the brighter the color gets! Never had a fondant covered cake or dummy sit around for 2.5 weeks, so not sure about that. It may dry out too much and start cracking... But since it won't be eaten anyway, you could rub it with an extra thick layer of shortening and wrap it in cling film until you need it.

Sweet_Toof Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 6

AReally? Where I used to work they faded bad but maybe it was under the fluorescent lighting in the room But I do know purple fades bad too and I've mixed a drop of purple into this icing??

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 6

I would be wary of blues and purple they seem to be the worst for fading . I have found them to fade even if they are boxed and put away. I try to leave purples and blues until the last minute if I can. 

It is a pain but I don't trust the purple in particular. 

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 3:54am
post #5 of 6

AYup! Purple and pink fades for me! A purple bow out of gumpaste turned blue after two days :( one time my pink fondant cake turned white! And just on white side! Yes, it was probably due to the lighting or direct sunlight. But i don't know if it wouldn't happen to your cake after a few weeks, even if you keep it in a dark room. Good luck though!

Sweet_Toof Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 10:45am
post #6 of 6

AThanks! I took a risk and have covered it already And I've put it in a dark cupboard So far so good- 11 days to go- wish me luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%