How To Make Sparkly Candy Melt Shards?

Decorating By louglou Updated 2 Oct 2014 , 9:35pm by cakebaby2

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make the ice palace from frozen for DD's birthday. I was thinking of 2 tiers with blue candy melt shards cut into shape and stuck to the sides of the cake.

I've not worked with candy melts before. I'm planning to melt them and pour them onto greasproof paper and then cut out the shapes. Will they will harden like chocolate and stick to buttercream?

Also, how can I make them sparkle? I have some edible glitter but can't work out how to stick it to the candy melt shard surface.

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 5

A

Original message sent by louglou

I've not worked with candy melts before. I'm planning to melt them and pour them onto greasproof paper and then cut out the shapes. Will they will harden like chocolate and stick to buttercream? [COLOR=blue]They will harden to the same hardness that the candy melts are before they are melted, yes they stick to buttercream. If you use a crusting buttercream, you'll of course need to attach them before it crusts or use a dab of fresh BC. If you are attaching to the side of a round cake, they need to dry/harden on a curve to match the cake.[/COLOR]

Also, how can I make them sparkle? I have some edible glitter but can't work out how to stick it to the candy melt shard surface. [COLOR=blue]Sprinkle the edible glitter before the melts harden up, or brush (thinly) the hardened ones with piping gel then sprinkle or dip. Make a few extra than what you need...... [/COLOR]

Thanks in advance.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

Someone on here suggested (sorry I cant give credit I cant find post) using melted glacier mints and breaking up into shards. I tried it and it works. You could use the blue and clear ones together to give a nice glossy ice finish 

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies. I want to use candy melts as I think the children will prefer to eat them rather than sugar glass or melted mints, though they might not look quite as good.

I was planning to use a round cake and have the shards flat against the cake so that they make the cake look more angular. 

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 5

Sounds lovely, the kids will love them x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%