Cake Decorator Survey - Please Help If You Can.

Decorating By mysweet Updated 2 Oct 2014 , 9:16pm by mysweet

mysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweet Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 7

Hello caking community!

I am embarking on a little market research for a potential cake decorating business idea that could have the potential to make our lives easier! I would really appreciate your input.

If you have a few minutes, please take a crack at this online survey.

I have just discovered that CC allows you to include a poll question when you post to the forum so I just added another yes/no question there as well.

Thanks!

G.

6 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 7

a little clarification please:

Who are you and what is the purpose of this market research?  What company are you doing the research for.  This  link that leads away from CC.com takes one where exactly.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 7

I looked at your survey. Here's some feedback:

1. Uniced cakes are essentially grocery store cakes. And the vast majority of people on here prefer to make their own, whether it be a box mix or from scratch.

2. Those potential names are great, but are already taken.

3. There are some cakers on here who are Wilton teachers or who teach out of their own bakery. So if you have a question for them, I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Are you looking to start a business or doing this "research" for school? Take a peek around the forums and you'll find lots of info about just about everything cake-related. :)

@MBalaska the link leads to Survey Monkey, which is just a survey site. I have used that site for school projects before, it's fine.

mysweet Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 7

Craftybanana - thank you for your insight!

MBalaska - I am a hobby cake decorator and an aspiring small business owner trying to flesh out the seed of an idea. I am not doing this research for any company. I put together the survey using surveymonkey.com, as Craftybanana mentioned. It's a web-based tool to help you create surveys you can share with a link. I will mention that on my original post...

mysweet Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 12:01am
post #5 of 7

Oops, it's not letting me edit my original post. The url is https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8JKMHYN

That looks only slightly less suspect : )

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 7

Just a thought, if you want to market uniced cakes, then you're target market would be those people who don't want to pay more than $2 per serving for an immaculately decorated cake. Or moms who just don't have enough time to bake the whole thing, in that case try party planners maybe? I'm a hobby baker, but people tell me I should learn to decorate so I can sell...until I tell them how much it costs to make it, lols.

Do  you have a great recipe you want to sell? Could try selling dry mixes of it maybe? I dunno what you're trying to do, but the survey seems to leans towards uniced cakes. The problem I always had with surveys is trying to word them so I would get more than general info back, but also show I had already looked into it. My speech teacher graded us on our surveys....She was a tough cookie, lols. I did more work in her class than I did in my pre-calc class!

Good luck! :)

mysweet Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 7

ACraftybanana - yessss! You hit the nail on the head. I am working on surveying my mom friends right now. And I'm looking at event planners for marketing potential.

Really I reached out on cc to try and get feedback from the hobby cake decorators (not pros.) I am a hobby decorator who hates having to prep, bake, wait etc. when inspiration strikes. I always bake extra and freeze so I can play when I want.

On a recent trip to Spain, I saw uniced cake layers at the grocery store. A pastry supply store in Paris (of all places) also had them! That would be perfect for someone like me and I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same.

Sounds like may need to tweak my survey a bit...

Again, this is the very seed of an idea, I'm not even sure if I have the acumen and wherewithal to start a business... But it's on my mind.

Watch this space.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%